Third Party Press

Books on S84/98 bayonets

jimdvan

For the new collector of German bayonets what would be the recommended books I should have? Also, were all bayonets issued with a frog? I have an agv41 marked bayonet that is in an unmarked scabbard, save for the "20" stamped on it, that shows no sign of ever having a frog on it. I'm guessing the scabbard is commercial.

George Wheeler History of german bayonet 1918-45, Bruce Karem book about S84/98 pre 1918 period. You should attach pictures .thanks.b.r.Andy

German bayonet collecting

For the new collector of German bayonets what would be the recommended books I should have?

Have you selected a period you want to collect, or are you looking at German bayonets in general?

George Wheeler History of German bayonet 1918-45, Bruce Karem book about S84/98 pre-1918 period. You should attach pictures .thanks.b.r.Andy

The two books Andy mentioned are the best to date. I know Bruce's book is out of print and probably George's as well. Bruce has or will incorporate some good S84/98 T3 information & photos in what will be the history of the Kar98k trilogy. Other than that, and with the disbandment of the Bayonet Collector's Network three years ago, IMHO this website has become the #1 resource for all things S84/98 T3 and German issued bayonets in general. I almost forgot to mention Anthony Carter's books on both German bayonets and Bayonet Belt Frogs of the World. Regarding the latter, the German section in BBF Vol #3 has the best information in print on German frogs from about 1871 to 1945. All works are out of print, but some are still available (from IMA I think) or via the secondary market.

11/3/20: Hear Bruce K. will be reprinting his bayonet book shortly, with amendments, in softbound format...

Last edited:
Bcn

with the disbandment of the Bayonet Collector's Network three years ago

Have you checked facebook for the k98 BCN?

Although, there is much more activity in this forum than on the k98 BCN facebook page.

Have you do with checked facebook for the k98 BCN? Although, there is much more activity in this forum than on the k98 BCN facebook page.

Thanks for the BCN FB page link. I was the last Editor of the BCN (guess it was for about 5 years of the 19 years it had been active). Unfortunately, in the latter days, it became difficult to put out a newsletter even once a week due to lack of participation. About 20% of the membership were very active members. If not for them, the Network would have dissolved long before. Some of this had to do with "lurkers" whom would join...only never to be heard from again, after their initial introduction to the membership. Perhaps the biggest issue during those 19 years, was the internet having changed rapidly. Now there are many websites and collector Forums which offer more direct interaction among members and faster response time. It also allows the "lurkers" to absorb whatever information they want, without ever having to contribute anything. BCN Founder John Jacobi is active on the FB site. I told him I would not subscribe to FB or any other social media site, as I want nothing to with this type of media. However, I am glad to hear it is doing well.

Facebook BCN

BCN Founder John Jacobi is active on the FB site. I told him I would not subscribe to FB or any other social media site, as I want nothing to with this type of media. However, I am glad to hear it is doing well.

John is active on that site, but there is much more bayonet activity on this forum. I was originally posting my finds on that page, but I have been posting everything here of late. Seems to be more interest here.

I have watched this forum become a wonderful place to reference and view S84/98 bayonets as well as other types. For years I used k98.free.fr to reference and compare but have been unable to access that web site for some time now. Did not think about saving his pics to my pc.:facepalm: Now there are great collections to look at here and use for reference. Thanks to all of our members who share their collections and knowledge with us.

Website

For years I used k98.free.fr to reference and compare but have been unable to access that web site for some time now.

Interesting that you cannot access his site. For several months I could not access, but it seems to be working fine now. I still use it from time to time.

There is sometime problem with french domain Free.fr, but it normally should works, some germans have too similar problems to find the site, there is probably problems by some direction rooters.b.r.Andy

Have been unable to access Arnaud's fine site for at least a year or more. Shame ....

Arnaud's site

Have been unable to access Arnaud's fine site for at least a year or more. Shame ....

Even more reason for us to organize ours into something. Plus, a posting on this site would only be available to forum members.

It is interesting that you cannot access k98.free.fr. I was blocked for several weeks, but I am having no issues now.

Recently, Arnaud emailed me and asked me about an example in his collection. He could not access his site from Japan, so he asked me to check the arrangement of the maker mark on one.

Even more reason for us to organize ours into something. Plus, a posting on this site would only be available to forum members.

I have often thought that this would be an excellent idea. A thorough directory to quickly find any bayonet posted within the forum. Could be set up like the picture reference thread over on the rifle side of this forum, but more indepth as it could be separate threads for each maker, then in each thread each year of manufacture could be the individual posts, with each post being a list of serial numbers in alphanumeric order, and the serial number text is the link to the thread where the bayonet was originally posted, or to where the photos could be permanently saved somewhere on the forum.

Though it would be quite something to set up and keep in order, it could be thorough and exhaustive, and become the Internet standard for matching up mismatched pieces.

If someone was feeling especially crazy, and crowd sourced out the research properly, it could even be a great platform to data mine the entire internet to collect a complete list of all bayonets mentioned on the web, along with a link and what ever photos are available.

I know, it's late and I should get off the internet :googlie:laugh:

Which book is best?

Anyone here that can tell if this book is a good investment "Das Seitengewehr 84/98 bei der Reichswehr und Wehrmacht von 1920 bis 1945"
or it is better to buy "Seitengewehr: History of the German Bayonet, 1919-1945" by George T. Wheeler

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 25
  • 31Rh4l6hZxL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    31Rh4l6hZxL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 20
Anyone here that can tell if this book is a good investment "Das Seitengewehr 84/98 bei der Reichswehr und Wehrmacht von 1920 bis 1945"
or it is better to buy "Seitengewehr: History of the German Bayonet, 1919-1945" by George T. Wheeler

Thanks in advance

There both good in my books George's is very good and getting hard to find he is a serious police collector just up the road from me. timothy

Military Rifle Journal
Back