Third Party Press

bnz rifles ......

tbied2

hey;.. i saw two rifles today. both looked pretty nice,.. but i am not that up on k98 rifles....bnz43-1.jpg ... the bnz43 looked neat. some of the parts had small numbers etched on some parts. rear sight,safety,trigger guard. the rear band had the serial number stamped on top instead of by sling loop.

Sszza4

I heard there were no markings on the stock. Seems like it should have a death head and serial number on the stock keel if my info. is correct?

Looked at that rifle today at the OGCA show its Richard Milton rifle. From the font lettering, and the numbers it looks correct. Believe it to be in SS Depot rifle. Only bad I would say was the stock was hit with sandpaper. Other that it was a nice rifle. Of course Richard always does have some interesting pieces on his table!

I heard there were no markings on the stock. Seems like it should have a death head and serial number on the stock keel if my info. is correct?
Yes, should have a death head and rifle serial number on the keel. Looks sanded which kills the value.

Really close in serial number to mine and Mikes.

1943 bnz sszza4 6296 (28).jpg1943 bnz sszza4 6244 (16).jpg

Wow! That’s one nice rifle, hasn’t had “Frankenberries” added or anything. Would love to see it in person!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnz

.. flourscent light made pics rough, but here are the best i could get today..... there is only a letter "c" stamped on stock. stock at cup looks sanded. ...ss001.jpg ... ss002.jpg ... ss003.jpg ... ss004.jpg ... ss005.jpg ... ss006.jpg ... ss007.jpg

... i will check and see if this rifle will be down at the SOS in a few months. you should be able to get a good look at both of those bnz rifles.....?

Which other rifles do you mean by "those bnz rifles"? The first picture in your post shows a French M1886 M93 in the back of the K98k rifle?

I agree that this likely is a “restoration” and I will say that with reservation because although I know some odd stuff went on with SS contract guns, a restoration of such a gun is also possibly a faked (humped) gun too. Here’s a few things to look at.
22450c334f93a165e3b59cf848d6a539.jpg

I’m pretty sure I can see the remains of a removed number on the floorplate. This then also means it has to have been reblued after the number was (mostly) removed.
f6f826cdacde4e1d2c8da6fc169b5cdc.jpg

All of these numbers look bad to me. The safety has remnants of the removed number on it, visible to the left of the new number.
I also agree that the stock is sanded so is automatically suspect. Again I don’t have it in hand but these areas here look bad to me.

I'll say this. I didn't really look at it really good as for the numbers. When I see heavily sanded stocks on rifles I pretty much pass on them. I do remember the price though it was $2800.

The rifle I was most interested in was his Steyr M95 semi-auto rifle. Not joking either it was pretty neat had the same gas and bolt set up like the French WW1 semi-auto. Never heard of such a thing. But the machine work was awesome wasn't bubba done it was well built.

I agree that this likely is a “restoration” and I will say that with reservation because although I know some odd stuff went on with SS contract guns, a restoration of such a gun is also possibly a faked (humped) gun too. Here’s a few things to look at.
22450c334f93a165e3b59cf848d6a539.jpg

I’m pretty sure I can see the remains of a removed number on the floorplate. This then also means it has to have been reblued after the number was (mostly) removed.
f6f826cdacde4e1d2c8da6fc169b5cdc.jpg

All of these numbers look bad to me. The safety has remnants of the removed number on it, visible to the left of the new number.
I also agree that the stock is sanded so is automatically suspect. Again I don’t have it in hand but these areas here look bad to me.

This rifle is not a SS contract rifle but a depot build at SSZZA4.

The rifle I was most interested in was his Steyr M95 semi-auto rifle. Not joking either it was pretty neat had the same gas and bolt set up like the French WW1 semi-auto. Never heard of such a thing. But the machine work was awesome wasn't bubba done it was well built.
Sorry to get off topic, but was that rifle also for sale? I'd be interested in that piece. There was a similar conversion on exhibition in the Austrian Army Museum too. Probably the one you are talking about is this one: http://www.hungariae.com/Mann95Ru.htm ?

Military Rifle Journal
Back