Third Party Press

Magdeburg-reworked Vz.23...

Wolfsburg

Well this is somewhat of a continuation of this thread:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?29056-Vz-24-stock-question

So I went to an estate auction today and was able to get my hands on this little rifle! This, along with a late Dot 44 98k, was brought back by a local veteran who passed away back in August. It is indeed a Vz.23, though most of the Vz.23-specific parts are long gone. It is all (German) matching, including a liberal use of electropencilling on the bolt parts. Everything else that is numbered is stamped, including the bands, buttplate, follower, floorplate, triggerguard and bolt release. The rear sight is not numbered at all. The stock is stamped twice, for whatever reason, and doesn't include the serial prefix. Stock also has a toe splice and repair.

From what I can tell, this rifle appears to be a Mg10(?) rework. The marking is kinda hard to read but I've not tried to clean anything up. I can clearly see the weird "eagle-turkey" Mg stamp but the number is not as legible. Underneath that is an "X". There is a waffenamt on the handguard but I can't quite read it. I've not disassembled anything but those are the German markings I've seen so far.

The (German re-)bluing looks very nice and the bore is pristine. The rifle really doesn't seem like it was used much beyond some dings and dents in the stock itself. The cleaning rod is missing, as is the screw in front of the rear sight, but the biggest negative is that awful duffel cut. I think I'll eventually want to have that addressed.

So I'm guessing this is a modified Vz.23 stock cut to Vz.24 specs? I'm not sure but it seems like I can see a "shadow" where the rear band used to be. Seems weird, regardless.

I gave $350 for it and with the (original German) sling, I didn't think that was too bad. Capture papers do exist though the family wanted to keep them. I'm trying to get a copy of them though.

Here are some crappy, quick and dirty pics. I've not cleaned or done anything to the rifle and this is how I got it:

Attachments

• IMG_2665.jpg
    IMG_2665.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2669.jpg
    IMG_2669.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2655.jpg
    IMG_2655.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2658.jpg
    IMG_2658.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2656.jpg
    IMG_2656.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2657.jpg
    IMG_2657.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2671.jpg
    IMG_2671.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2654.jpg
    IMG_2654.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2652.jpg
    IMG_2652.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2660.jpg
    IMG_2660.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2661.jpg
    IMG_2661.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2662.jpg
    IMG_2662.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2663.jpg
    IMG_2663.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2672.jpg
    IMG_2672.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2670.jpg
    IMG_2670.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2664.jpg
    IMG_2664.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2659.jpg
    IMG_2659.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2667.jpg
    IMG_2667.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Final couple of pics:

Attachments

• IMG_2668.jpg
    IMG_2668.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2673.jpg
    IMG_2673.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Super cool example. Congratulations on a nice acquisition. I would guess they modified the stock because the armourer wanted to use that G24(t) handguard and it wouldn't work with the different spacing of the Vz-23 bands.

Super cool example. Congratulations on a nice acquisition. I would guess they modified the stock because the armourer wanted to use that G24(t) handguard and it wouldn't work with the different spacing of the Vz-23 bands.

Thanks so much! I’m really glad to get it. What you say makes a lot of sense. The original handguard probably broke and they just used a G24 handguard instead of putting the action into a whole new stock set all together. I’ve been unsuccessful in finding any other Vz23s modified in this way but I feel like this is legit.

Very cool, I always liked these Mg ealges.

Thanks! I’m a n00b when it comes to depot markings and initially wasn’t even sure what I was looking at! Def didnt look like any bird I’d seen before! Haha!

Can anyone make out the handguard waffenamt?

...I’ve been unsuccessful in finding any other Vz23s modified in this way but I feel like this is legit.

I think it is legitimate also and a very nice example. Any time an armourer has to put that kind of effort into a rifle, to me, it makes that rifle much more interesting. I will post a couple of links to German rebuilt Vz-23's, but don't believe that either of them have the modification.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?22188-Mainz-rebuilt-Vz-23

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?5526-Vz-with-Nazi-tracks/

Last edited:
Thanks for the links! So your Mainz-reworked one seems to still have the original Vz23 stock but with grasping grooves added, correct? The incredible amount of variation is fascinating. Interesting to see how the cocking piece on Bob's is both stamped and electorpencilled.

REALLY neat rifle, congratulations! That's definitely Magdeburg, it's the same style depot stamp on a M1895 Dutch long rifle and No.4 carbine I own. What's also interesting to see is the German added serial number on the underside of the stock, it's the same style of numbers (and looks like the same size) as what's on Magdeburg-stamped Dutch long arms. You stole it at that price.

Best,
Pat

Ah, I see. That's cool to see some consistency with other reworked types. I was surprised to see the lack of a serial prefix on the side of the stock.

Thanks for the links! So your Mainz-reworked one seems to still have the original Vz23 stock but with grasping grooves added, correct? The incredible amount of variation is fascinating. Interesting to see how the cocking piece on Bob's is both stamped and electorpencilled.

I think this Vz-23 was not reworked. I am posting the photos here for the sake of comparison. So, originally no grasping grooves. BTW, note that Bob's rifle appears to be a Vz-23 barreled receiver tucked into a Vz-24 stock. The difference with yours is that it seems like the armourer actually modified the Vz-23 stock on your rifle to use it with a Vz-24 (or in this case G24(t)) handguard.

Attachments

• vz23_1.jpg
    vz23_1.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 31
  • vz23_2.jpg
    vz23_2.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 30
  • vz23_3.jpg
    vz23_3.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 27
  • vz23_4.jpg
    vz23_4.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Ah, I gotcha. That really had me puzzled early on because I hadn't considered they'd go through the trouble to make such a modification!

..That's definitely Magdeburg.. You stole it at that price.

Agreed. Great piece with a great history and lot's of interesting features at least IMHO. In this condition with the sling it was an excellent buy. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I wasn’t sure how much the nasty duffel cut affects the value, but sometimes a rifle just “speaks” to you and I felt good about it. Im not sure how much it’s really worth but it was definitely something I wanted to get my hands on. Just an oddball thing. Im considering eventually looking into the Hambone method of duffel cut repair. The only other rifle I have that is duffel cut is a K98a, but it’s cut behind the rear band and is hidden.

Took some more pics, including one of the wood plug used to fill the former location of the lower band screw. I forgot to get a decent pic of the barrel date but it is E3(Lion)39. It would appear just about every aspect of this rifle was replaced or gone over! The bayonet lug does not match, which surprised me given the trouble made to renumber everything else to matching. The sear is matching and the handguard and stock also have internal matching numbers. The barrel is numbered to match and also sports a German proof. As I got it, the stock disc was blank but, I (carefully) removed it to discover signs of its past life on the opposite side. According to AndyB, this rifle was once in use by the Czech 12th Infantry Regiment.

IMG_2688.jpg
IMG_2692.jpg
51669506-4FC2-40E4-826B-1194145269F1.jpg
IMG_2696.jpg
IMG_2695.jpg
IMG_2694.jpg

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back