Third Party Press

Online sale problem

Shootin Shack Guns

I'm trying to decide what I show do and am looking for some advice coming from the 22 trainer community. I recently bought a Mauser KKW online and when I received it the safety was broken. It's a nice clean rifle and I paid good money for it. Should I keep it and look for a safety, have a safety made, buy a sporterized KKW just for the safety? Any ideas???

Was the broken safety disclosed by the seller? (I presume not.) If this were my situation, the first step would be to try for a settlement with the seller, again presuming the shipment wasn't insured. If the MO KKW was in otherwise excellent condition, I would probably keep it and see if the safety can be tig welded or start the hunt for the part (gonna be hard to find). Next, I would see if the French post-war kkw safety could be fitted and if not hope the member here, Fal Grunt, decides to reproduce the kkw safeties as well as the DSM safeties. Good luck!

Last edited:
Was the package insured? Nice Mauser's are hard to find so if the rest of the rifle is nice I wouldn't want to return it. The safeties were not numbered so there is a chance of finding one loose. My question would be, were the safeties the same for any other maker?

The seller originally said he'd file a claim but since you can't get safeties how much do you claim? What I was hoping is a MAS 45 safety would work until I found a real KKW safety. I was thinking I would then look for a sporterized KKW or parts gun

Broken Safety

There is a micro-welder in NH that Dave knows.
He can repair it and I can do the finish touch up.

Let me know if we can help.

We have repaired several safeties for members here with really good results.

B.

It's weird but I've had that happen twice. I got a Standard Modell in the mail many years back and the safety top half was simply rattling around in the box.

The seller originally said he'd file a claim but since you can't get safeties how much do you claim? What I was hoping is a MAS 45 safety would work until I found a real KKW safety. I was thinking I would then look for a sporterized KKW or parts gun

I will be going to Allentown this weekend. I sold two bolts to a guy there that does parts. I will see if he still has them.
As long as you agree to buy it I will pick one up for you. Send me a PM with your PH # and I can call you over the weekend,.
both were Gustloff bolts but the safeties should interchange. I have no clue what he will ask.

Any KKW safety will interchange with some limitations. Jon Speed did let me know that Mas 45 safeties are essentially identical to the KKW, as they were the continued production of the KKW.

Do you have the pieces? I would second Bruce's recommendation. If it were my personal gun that is exactly what I would do.

I would find out what a bolt will cost from mauser99, and the repair would be from Bruce, add some for your time, and file that. I will warn you however, ever time I have tried to file a claim for damages, it was all or nothing. If the rifle was insured for $1000, FedEx, UPS, USPS, will give the insuree a check for $1000 after collecting the damaged items. That means they take the rifle. They (at least in the past) would not pay for repair or replacement parts.

Kkw

The sooner the seller files the claim the better. UPS drags their feet on claims. It took me 6 months on the last claim I filed!!!!!

Military Rifle Journal
Back