Third Party Press

WTB 98b bolt assembly

Ricker

Anyone have a good working condition, correct b bolt assembly? I would be happy to buy one off someone if they had one laying around.

Thanks

Rick

Hope you have some good $$ or some good trading goods at hand.

I traded into a nice matching-to-itself e/6 Simson 98b 'a' block bolt maybe 8 years ago. I swapped a matching with original sling T99 Arisaka for it, valued at maybe $400 at the time, and worth more than that now.

The level of condition and originality will be your price limit. Said bolt is hard to find on the loose. If you have a good bolt only m/m 98b, it may be worth it. If you have a bitser rifle, any 98k style bent bolt might be just as original in appearence and more economical.

dos centavos

So what you are saying is that a kar98k bolt is a good replacement dimensionally. Im new to k98's, Im a collector of modern firearms TBH. If the only differences between a "b" bolt and a "k" bolt is acceptance markings and numbers, I am ok with that. 99.999% of the people who I would show this gun to wouldnt know what the proof markings meant anyway.

Generally WTB is not allowed in this setting, the trader handles such activity, but we will look the other way in this case. Righting a 98b is a worthwhile exception; as said a 98b bolt is a $300 + component if you can find one, you could get lucky on Gun Broker or another selling site, but generally $300 or more for a nice original 98b bolt. Several that frequent this forum have loose bolts, but it is doubtful they will part with them unless a good price or trade is offered. I have found in such situations that stating your willingness to pay a ridiculous price (full retail) can elicit replies (provide a range for which you are willing to pay and it may draw out someone with a bolt they will part with... most will not offer up a rare bolt or item on the hope of a good offer, - most collectors with such "spares" often are men of means and money is little incentive, but it is your best bet...)

Yes, a 98k bolt works fine with the normal precautions (headspace, general condition of the barreled receiver and bolt, - no alterations or tampering... over the years a lot of stupid people have done lot of stupid things to rifles, decades ago these rifles were not worth much, more a novelty or shooter than collectible). Actually any German military Modell98 bolt will work, Gewehr98, 98a, 98b or 98k, also most of their counterparts in neighboring states (Czech, Polish Modell98's)

Thanks Loewe.

Im going to buy my friends 98k bolt from him and just use that. I'll take it to my gunsmith and have him give me the okay before I shoot it with the new bolt. Appreciate all your help.

Military Rifle Journal
Back