Third Party Press

Sight hood trouble

maxipum

IMG_1090.jpgIMG_1092.jpg ok need some help guys, just purchased an "original" sight hood from a fellow forum member. When it arrived I noticed how thin the material was on the new hood ( compared to a known original on the left in both photos). Also with my fingers I can nearly make the ends touch. I let the guy know my thoughts that this was a reproduction. He does not agree and insisted I am mistaken as well as refusing a refund. What do you think?

Last edited:
The dreaded mystery hood (the larger one with thinner metal). I feel your pain. I have plenty of strangely shaped hoods with thinner metal. I always wonder where they come from too.

Not a mystery to this guy.

In the sense that you know who sold it to you? I pretty much stopped buying hoods without good photos as a result of accumulating too many hoods like that. I don't know whether they are Yugo, Norwegian, eastern European, or some kind of cr@ppy repro. Whatever the case, I would never use one on an otherwise original condition rifle.

Sight hood

The photo he sent looked decent but once I got it in hand I knew better. On this forum though with our three day inspection period I have generally purchased with confidence knowing if the item doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling I can send it back. Until now

send it back to him anyway. you don't want it. make him feel like an a$$. if he doesn't return your money than he's worse than that.

Sight hood

Oh he is definitely getting his turd back and we are only talking about 50 bucks but the more I think about it the more pisses me off. He gave me the old " l got this from a very reputable old collector so you are wrong" bullshit line.

Oh he is definitely getting his turd back and we are only talking about 50 bucks but the more I think about it the more pisses me off. He gave me the old " l got this from a very reputable old collector so you are wrong" bullshit line.

I love sellers' verbal COA's such as: "I got it from the vet's widow..." (after interested buyer points out the import mark on the barrel of a "bringback" rifle).
It's almost 2018 and apparently bullshit still sells.

No doubt, I have 4 loose hoods here and one of them is that "thinner-taller" looking hood. Got it from Norway so it could be that. This one is not pliable though, very rigid and won't budge under finger strength.
DSC04400.jpg

No doubt, I have 4 loose hoods here and one of them is that "thinner-taller" looking hood. Got it from Norway so it could be that. This one is not pliable though, very rigid and won't budge under finger strength.
View attachment 163549

I still don’t have the eye to detect good sight hoods from bad in pictures! Not having any markings makes them doubly hard. Didn’t I read that it is believed that Norway made sight hoods and that some of what we see are actually those? The only ones I can spot and validate quickly in pictures are the shorter fatter “Steyr”’style hoods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Steyr style hoods are easy to spot, and once on a rifle they are damn close to being round in shape. In my photo the bottom left is the thinner, wide feet hood. Thinking it's a Norway hood. The others I feel are original.

As Pisgah said, and I agree that the hood is not original. The absolute no questions asked original hoods I have and handled and owned over the last 30 years are tough, spring steel, thicker. I have those hoods like that Maxipum, and I got five or so of them for less than $5 each to put on my shooters. They were advertised as Yugoslav surplus and they are well traveled. There are some dealers in Norway who are no different from some dealers in the US or EU about such matters. If they can get the hoods to Norway, they then "came from Norway" which makes us in the US think they are German surplus. The same scam is done back to guys in the EU and Norway with US stuff. My bet is if you google "Yugo surplus 98k hoods" you'll find that hood for under $10, maybe under $5.

Also, as stated by the guys here, we have a 3 day inspection / refund mandatory for our trader. If you gave whomever the seller is notice of intent to return, he must honor the return or lose his trader privileges here. Our trader is free, but there is a strict code of conduct.

Maybe its time to "out" the seller. Stunts like this should not be tolerated. Even if its real but you are not happy with it we should be giving each other the courtesy of being able to return items within a couple of days. Everyone makes mistakes in identifying repro items from time to time. If you're the seller of an item that someone finds questionable the decent thing to do is take it back.

Plus, if he'll do it to you he'll do it to the rest of us. It would be helpful to know his identity so no one else gets treaded as you have.

EDIT: Considering Hambone's above statement you should demand a refund in no uncertain terms or you will, at the very least, report him to the mods. if not the viewing public. Guys like him have no place here.

JDV, your motives are good and in the right place. Let's give the seller a chance to make it right. If he doesn't, then it's ripe for discussion.

Everyone needs to take a minute, breathe, and chill out...

I was the seller and since everyone agreed that it was not a german wartime hood I refunded him the money. I really thought it was legit as I purchased this from another senior member here on the board (and no I'm not going to out him cause I don't want to cause anymore trouble - I'll just take the loss)...so I guess I was the one who got screwed! But I'm not about to pass that bad luck onto anyone else.

Sometimes bad deals just happen and as long as we all address them correctly in the end all is good...Everyone ok?...lol I think anyone who has dealt with me here or over at GunBoards knows I'm a good seller/trader/buyer and stand by my stuff!!

Everyone needs to take a minute, breathe, and chill out...

I was the seller and since everyone agreed that it was not a german wartime hood I refunded him the money. I really thought it was legit as I purchased this from another senior member here on the board (and no I'm not going to out him cause I don't want to cause anymore trouble - I'll just take the loss)...so I guess I was the one who got screwed! But I'm not about to pass that bad luck onto anyone else.

Sometimes bad deals just happen and as long as we all address them correctly in the end all is good...Everyone ok?...lol I think anyone who has dealt with me here or over at GunBoards knows I'm a good seller/trader/buyer and stand by my stuff!!

Most admirable handling of the situation sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to go, well done. Sorry if I read too much into the situation. It sounded like on on-going dispute. I've had the same thing happen to me, as well: bought something that looked good then found out I was the one without a chair when the music stopped so I ate it.

Is that too many analogies in one sentence?

Military Rifle Journal
Back