Third Party Press

FJ Helmet lot

iron bender

750 Press Operator
Guys, I'm the luckiest guy ever. Story of why and how will follow later. It'll take about a week, but you're looking at a full provenance 87th Infantry 10th Mountain Div helmet from 1945. This will be one of the best 10th mountain lots to have come out in a long time. This has all rosters, WIA, KIA, where, when, how, and to boot, this guy was a Kiska vet, so lots of Jap souvenirs too, all tagged with war trophy tags. Mostly paperwork, no gear other than souvenirs, guy was a radio guy in the infantry. Trained radios at Ft. Benning. Drafted AAC in 42. Camp Hale, Carson, Swift, Italy, everything the 87th did. I can't believe how luck I am. Letters from camp to home, overseas to home, lots of war trophies, in country made 87th Regiment and 10th Div in country made patches, collar insignia and unit insignia. Italian made CIBs. It is incredible. His original Kiska Task Force oilcloth patch (very well used). Bulk of his stuff is in treacherous condition, but the German and Jap souvenirs ain't going anywhere. This will be a double post on USMF also… there's a set of random dog tags I can't ID. Hex shaped out of cardboard? with very western European names. Seems very POW or Dutch or something like that. It'll all be pictured in due time. For now, enjoy a legit (but rough) FJ helmet taken from Italy. Please note former white wash or tropical camo.

Attachments

• IMG_1423.JPG
    IMG_1423.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1425.JPG
    IMG_1425.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1427.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1428.JPG
    IMG_1428.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1429.JPG
    IMG_1429.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1430.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
The letters from his brother to said vet are awesome. He was also an infantryman in the Pacific, and all of his letters refer to friends of their's trying for transfers to AAC ground mechanics. He refers to some as having received stateside transfer for retraining. I'm thinking 0311/11B was unpopular to the guys doing the dirt work

It is definitely still out there and what makes this hobby great...you never know what you will find. That’s a killer helmet, I’m excited to see more

Indeed alot of interesting pieces still left too be discovered. These past few weeks I have seen some great additions on the forum. Picked up something very special for me just last weekend. Not saying what it is yet!

Anyway great piece Ironbender can't wait too see the rest of the history posted with this.

Horrido! Wonderful FJR stahl.. You indeed hit the jackpot.. well done! You never know what's next is so true.. Picked up a late war 262 parachute from a fellow Allied only collector. I'll post pics when I can get someone to shoot me in my flight suit and Galland mustache... maybe next airshow... last years attached

Attachments

• 20150502_155850_resized_1.jpg
    20150502_155850_resized_1.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20150502_163355_resized_4.jpg
    20150502_163355_resized_4.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 84
Nice helmet and Interesting story. Look forward to reading the rest of the history.

Guys, I'm the luckiest guy ever. Story of why and how will follow later. It'll take about a week, but you're looking at a full provenance 87th Infantry 10th Mountain Div helmet from 1945. This will be one of the best 10th mountain lots to have come out in a long time. This has all rosters, WIA, KIA, where, when, how, and to boot, this guy was a Kiska vet, so lots of Jap souvenirs too, all tagged with war trophy tags. Mostly paperwork, no gear other than souvenirs, guy was a radio guy in the infantry. Trained radios at Ft. Benning. Drafted AAC in 42. Camp Hale, Carson, Swift, Italy, everything the 87th did. I can't believe how luck I am. Letters from camp to home, overseas to home, lots of war trophies, in country made 87th Regiment and 10th Div in country made patches, collar insignia and unit insignia. Italian made CIBs. It is incredible. His original Kiska Task Force oilcloth patch (very well used). Bulk of his stuff is in treacherous condition, but the German and Jap souvenirs ain't going anywhere. This will be a double post on USMF also… there's a set of random dog tags I can't ID. Hex shaped out of cardboard? with very western European names. Seems very POW or Dutch or something like that. It'll all be pictured in due time. For now, enjoy a legit (but rough) FJ helmet taken from Italy. Please note former white wash or tropical camo.

I was referring to the photo of the 108B with the gentleman standing by the wing root.

Great helmet and it isn't even in a cub scout size!

I was referring to the photo of the 108B with the gentleman standing by the wing root.

Great helmet and it isn't even in a cub scout size!

My mistake. But like most lid collectors I never let facts get in the way of a good story anyways :biggrin1::biggrin1:

Last edited:
Holy smokes! You must be living right IB. That's great. So look forward to the postings and info to follow! :happy0180:

Guys thanks for the positive comments. As soon as I get back into my house (couple more weeks), I'll start grouping and photographing this set with info and history. It's pretty spectacular!

This is nothing, but I'm still digging trying to put this guy in the 87th Infantry in Attu and Europe. This may help. The vet's nephew has a shite load more paperwork he's gonna give me this week. But check this out. It at least gets us from the beginning to Texas. Too bad he didn't know about Marlboro Lights

Attachments

• IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1436.JPG
    IMG_1436.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1437.JPG
    IMG_1437.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 60
Guys, I'm bringing this back up as I don't want it to get drowned. I'm moving home this weekend and hoping to start making some nice pics of this huge collection. I finally got ALL of his letters written home from training camps and overseas. I'm shocked at how much traveling these guys did in such short order. I also have a pile of letters written to him by buddies of his in the Pacific and Italy. FUCKING CRAZY shite in these letters. These dudes flat out hated the Japs. I think Americans wanted those islands sunk into oblivion. From his letters Adak and Kiska were HORRIBLE. I'm thinking like Russian Front conditions minus the bullets flying at you never ending. Miserable. I have letters confirming literally everything in the grouping whether Jap or German capture wise. Sadly there are about a total of 20 letters written during hostilities in Italy with the 87th Mtn. Inf. in 45. I'm sure he was busy. Post war Italy sounds righteous; girls, trout fishing daily, mountains, and getting drunk nightly. I gotta stop for now. I'm too excited about this. This is an amazing lot to a high speed unit late war. Here's a couple pics of his letters home from 43 (while in Kiska/Adak) and 44 (Camp Hale, Carson, and radio training at Benning and infantry at Swift) alone…. can't wait to start digging through the 45 pile in greater depth. I promise to do a good job for this man, as he obviously cared greatly about his service. More to follow...

Attachments

• IMG_1475.JPG
    IMG_1475.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1476.JPG
    IMG_1476.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Sooner rather than later I'll post some of the more interesting letters, such as in early 44, friends writing him from other camps nervous, because they're tearing down the camps and wholesaling the Class 9 stuff to the local population. Guys are saying they've heard it's overseas time, and everyone under 30 is going. Guys saying they didn't realize they'd passed a test that means they're capable of overseas duty. Lots of rumors in these letters. These dudes just wanted the war over and to go home. Daily letters of bombing Japan and what's next. Another interest is the pissed off attitude this guy has towards one of his buds from home because he's always on furlough. It's gonna take a while but good God this is the stuff hard-back books are made of.

Military Rifle Journal
Back