Third Party Press

Original matching 1941 Podolsk SVT-40

lthilsdorf

I've shared this rifle a few places, but noticed this forum has several nice original examples posted and figured this would be a nice addition to show.

I picked this up a few months ago at a local gun show. I've never really had an interest in SVT-40's but this one spoke to me. It looks to be in all matching condition and correct, with many of the small parts having the correct proof on them.

No Finnish markings on here, but it's a non refurb with some pitting and roughness on the front portion and some of the other surfaces. There's a crack in the hand guard too. No magazine was included, but I just purchased a rough looking one that will match the patina of the rifle very well. I figured original SVT-40's don't pop up often, so I'd use the opportunity to pick it up.

Any thoughts on this one?

IMG_1768.jpgIMG_1769.jpgIMG_1771.jpgIMG_1772.jpgIMG_1774.jpgIMG_1777.jpgIMG_1778.jpgIMG_1779.jpgIMG_1780.jpgIMG_1781.jpgIMG_1783.jpgIMG_1784.jpgIMG_1785.jpg

Last edited:
Nice rifle. Tough to find any matching SVT 40 let alone a Podolsk. There are some of us here who also collect these. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you all for the kind words. When I picked this rifle up I wasn't aware it was such a hard to find piece. I collect Mosin Nagants, mainly Spanish Civil War rifles, so this was the rare case when I picked something up I knew little about. The price wasn't outrageous, which is why I decided to add it, and I knew it couldn't be too easy finding original matching examples.

I didn't receive any possible history on the origin of this rifle, which is too bad. From what I understand most Finned rifles seem to have ended up mismatched, but it's not to say it couldn't be an unmarked Finn capture. I suppose it could also be a very nice undocumented bring back, but not much supporting that besides the matching condition of the piece. Of course, none of that really matters with rarity with this piece.

Ithilsdorf, could you upload them to the server here so we can pic sticky them for reference? Otherwise if your 3rd party host goes down they are gone. Tks.

Very nice! Svt’s have intrigued me lately. I don’t know about the maker but there was a similar one at the Tulsa show. Here are s couple cool pictures I came across somewhere, one is an AVS actually.

Attachments

• DDFEB9AC-678D-480D-A8DE-6F8133ABCF61.jpeg
    DDFEB9AC-678D-480D-A8DE-6F8133ABCF61.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 86151D28-2674-4781-B846-DEE23509370E.jpeg
    86151D28-2674-4781-B846-DEE23509370E.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Wow, such a nice example! I’ve wanted an SVT for a long time but the Russian refurbs don’t interest me a bit, for whatever reason. I always figured I’d prob pick up a Finn at some point but one like his would be icing on the cake! Great find!

Hambone,

I updated the pictures as forum attachments.

Thank you all for the kind words on the rifle. I too am not a fan of the refurb SVT-40's, which is what made me pick this one up. I was also intrigued by the lack of Finn markings, as it seems most non-refurbs I've seen over the years are Finn marked.

I didn’t mean to imply this was necessarily a Finn. Poor wording on my part. It could very well be a bringback but it’s hard to know for sure!

I didn’t mean to imply this was necessarily a Finn. Poor wording on my part. It could very well be a bringback but it’s hard to know for sure!

I'm sorry, I wasn't implying it's a certain bring back either, haha! I just meant most SVT's I run into localy that aren't refurbs have Finn markings. I agree it's an unknown history too. I bought the rifle not story in this case. The rifle itself speaks volumes enough for me.

Military Rifle Journal
Back