Third Party Press

Barrel of Laughs

agentcq

I saw this "original K98 WWII sniper" as stated by the seller at a recent Gun Show. He was very pleased to tell me that this "super rare" and "experimental sniper" was priced at only $5500. He was even more excited to tell me that it was "straight out of the attic" and that "two guns smiths - a Swiss and Canadian gun smith authenticated" it for him.

Well...where to start!!!!

27 1940 rifle, not a part matching on it or correct for a factory 27 rifle and nothing matching to any marking on any part of this overly complex mount. Sadly it had an original scope and upper high turret mount set on it. By day two - he confessed that likely the scope mount wasn't matching to the rifle, but he still insisted that all parts of the mount were "original and that wasn't even up for discussion". :facepalm::laugh:

Luckily the rifle was still on the table at the end of the show.

Attachments

• IMG_6934.jpg
    IMG_6934.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6935.jpg
    IMG_6935.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 124
Am sure some sucker will eventually buy it if he lowers the price. With matching 98k and R/Cs bringing higher prices the forgers will be out in ever greater numbers.

I saw this "original K98 WWII sniper" as stated by the seller at a recent Gun Show. He was very pleased to tell me that this "super rare" and "experimental sniper" was priced at only $5500. He was even more excited to tell me that it was "straight out of the attic" and that "two guns smiths - a Swiss and Canadian gun smith authenticated" it for him.

Well...where to start!!!!

27 1940 rifle, not a part matching on it or correct for a factory 27 rifle and nothing matching to any marking on any part of this overly complex mount. Sadly it had an original scope and upper high turret mount set on it. By day two - he confessed that likely the scope mount wasn't matching to the rifle, but he still insisted that all parts of the mount were "original and that wasn't even up for discussion". :facepalm::laugh:

Luckily the rifle was still on the table at the end of the show.

Dude , You have got to hook me up with the owner . I have been searching for one of these for many many Moons . That is the rare Short Side High Top Long Turret Sniper . This is rarer than the Rare Swept Back Sniper . :laugh::laugh:

Sorry Dave...I gave Andrew the first kick at the can seeing that he is on our side of the border.

Andrew was even decent enough to give me a reasonable offer to the guy, so that Andrew could purchase it just for the optics and original rings...the seller still turned it down.

I have to admit, the crazy mount system was really well down from a gun smiths point of view (fit and finish)...but just hilarious.

Certainly a very rare model indeed. Why did I buy a MkII SA marked Sten and bnz4 barreled action with matching bolt instead???? :)

I am certain I will be regretting this for years. :facepalm:

The best part is the seller considers himself a serious dealer and has a "lifetime warranty" on all his authentic items. :googlie

Insane set up but the scope and rings, and maybe the rear base, appear to be real? The scope almost certainly is WW2. Maybe half the amount would work out? Not worthless IMO.

"experimental snipper".. Sure it is. He's got the mental part right anyway. Thanks for the morning laugh!

Military Rifle Journal
Back