Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1916 Amberg

Default 1916 Amberg

Picked this up recently, was sold to me as a matching 16 Danzig but turned out to be an Amberg (bought it without photos). Itís all original matching except for the rear triggerguard screw and firing pin. Interesting though, it has a depot marking in the buttplate (4 H for KŲln). I was expecting some renumbered or replaced components but not so with this one. Here are a few pics showing condition, comments welcomed. Bore is absolutely perfect too! Photo stuff is put away so cell phone pics will have to do, I did take pics of bbl code and receiver marking, let me know if you want other pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Nice one! And after getting that with no photos, you need to buy a lottery ticket....

Nothing like ending a day with a nice Amberg Gew98. Mike take me Gew98 hunting next time!
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet" Major Robert Rogers 1757

Itís got some pitting as shown, but itís really a nice rifle overall and Iím happy it turned into an Amberg.

Happy for you. Plus you mention before that you like the Amberg made rifles looks like luck was on your side.

Sold my last Amberg it was a 1916 as well. But will find another one too take its place hopefully a early made one. Had too make room for a certain Gew98 that just came in yesterday. Not saying what it is yet.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet" Major Robert Rogers 1757

A few more photos.

Really nice Amberg!

Beauty, even with the pitting.

Thatís a gorgeous Amberg!

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    Had to make room for a certain Gew98 that just came in yesterday. Not saying what it is yet.
    I bet I have an idea what it is! :P

Perfect job of displaying markings I need, - including the ones needed for our Amberg research thread. I would like to know the wrist acceptance, should be Crown/G for this range, but it does change a few blocks later in 1916. Amberg is by far the most consistent wartime maker, - kind of the Mauser or Brno(dot) maker of the Imperial era. I do not think it is arguable that there was a better G98 maker 1915-1918 (though they were a low production operation, actually trivial compared to the Prussian operations)

I once thought i bought a Mauser Oberndorf at a gun show, only to discover it was a DWM when i got it outside, just the lengthy name and rush to buy it on the cheap made me rush my look over. That too was a pleasant error, - just as I think an Amberg/16 is a better buy over a Danzig/16, so too was a DWM/16 over a MO/16 (though DWM made more in 1916 than MO; Amberg was much lower than Danzig in 1916, - only the Suhl makers and WOK were lower in 1916, and Amberg was not much more than the Suhl consortium that year, so really only Simosn and WOK were really significantly lower... interestingly Simson is lower than WOK in 1916 too, though both close at the g-h blocks)

Another interesting observation, in 20 years (1997 I started trending Imperials, which is before I started trending 98k, which began in 1999) I have recorded 197 Amberg/16's verses 285 Danzig/16's. Which is not very reflective of actual production range: Amberg/16 (w-block or 220,000) vs. Danzig/16 (qq-block 430,000 - Danzig used i & j blocks), so nearly double the production, but observations are not nearly double!