Third Party Press

Thread: Bolt flat marking question

Default Bolt flat marking question

First off, if this is in wrong section, I do apologize. I have a couple of non- matching k98s, but I have recently purchased an Israeli convert. I have used the search function on the forum, and have googled for a couple of days, and still have no idea what I'm looking at. Here's a pic, and any help would be greatly appreciated.image.jpg

Edit: the reason I posted in this section, it was a 42/1940 before being rebarreled.
    Last edited by Cheddar_Bob; 12-06-2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added info

Looks like a Belgian proof marking.

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

Quote Originally Posted by heavy10 View Post
    Thank you for your reply heavy10. I have had a lot of trouble figuring out what I was looking at, even with a magnifying glass.

From your kind of poor pic, it looks like a lion over PV, which is #19 on the list at the link.

Israel was a dumping ground for M98 Mauser stuff, so the Belgian part is not unusual. You will find every genre of pre-war/war-time/post-war Mauser part on Israeli-assembled Mausers. Which is one of the reasons they are cool, and historic in their own right. I've seen them assembled with parts from 5 different countries.

Admission, I know who Cheddar Bob is, just watched 8 Mile (again) not too long ago. Too bad Eminem turned out to be a anti-Trump snowflake.

Welcome to the forum. Show off some more of your Kar98k's.