Third Party Press

Interesting S84/98 T3 Export

pwcosol

Got this on the way from an Ebay buy the other day. It appears to be one of unattributed export bayonets. A number of these got sent to Spain during the Civil War (along with other war material and the Condor Legion) to support Franco. Likely others remained in Germany and acquired by any number of para-military, 3rd Reich organizations which were rearming and had a need for bayonets. Though originally finished in white, these may be found refurbished and blued from Spanish service as well. Back in the 1980s, remaining stocks were released as surplus. I recall getting five excellent examples from George Peterson. Of those, three had E/WaA253 stamps on the tang (under the grips). No flash guards were used, as this was strictly a German Heer requirement. They also typically have a "script O" stamped on the underside of the blade, just forward of the cross-guard. Scabbards are hi-polish blue and unattributed as well. However, this is the only one I have observed with what appears to be a factory stamped serial number on it. There are no other markings evident.

Attachments

• S8498T3 CmmlRS.jpg
    S8498T3 CmmlRS.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Is this a o letter stamped? the untouched piece probably never went to Spain, as there would be heavy refurbished, other point is this scabbard is since 1940 date , so with so high number i would assume its a Behoerden piece, that went to some organisation? b.r.Andy

Last edited:
Is this a o letter stamped? the untouched piece probably never went to Spain, as there would be heavy refurbished, other point is this scabbard is to 1940 date and later, so with so high number i would assume its a Behoerden piece, that went to some organization? b.r.Andy

Have not received this bayonet yet, but expect it in two days. Will report back when bayonet is in hand...

Bayo arrived today. It is typical of these unmarked, no flashgurad, finished "in white" export pattern pieces. There are no markings on the blade spine. Bayonet has not been refurbished in any way. I pushed in the catch stud and on the latch is the matching serial# 9263. Saw no WaA or other markings. I will eventually attempt to remove the grips. On the rear most screwbolt, wood from the grips has shrunk a bit around the both screw & spanner nut. If I am not careful removing either or both, it could lift small slivers of wood from around the grip scare holes. My expectation is to find the flashguard and grips numbered to the serial on the ricasso, and perhaps a WaA253 acceptance stamp or two.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back