Third Party Press

K98 to MP44 Barrel Conversion

agentcq

Maybe someone one the forum has done this before and I remember reading up on this years ago but I cannot find the link.

I know that some of the MP44 parts kits that had the barrels cut too. The solution was repurposing a K98 barrel (re-contouring and chambering).

However, as the K98 barrel would be chambered in an 8x57 length - how is it modified to fit the shorter 8mm Kurz cartridge?

Thank you

Maybe someone one the forum has done this before and I remember reading up on this years ago but I cannot find the link.

I know that some of the MP44 parts kits that had the barrels cut too. The solution was repurposing a K98 barrel (re-contouring and chambering).

However, as the K98 barrel would be chambered in an 8x57 length - how is it modified to fit the shorter 8mm Kurz cartridge?

Thank you

I don't have the specs in front of me, but my guess would be that they shorten the barrel from the chamber end, and then ream a new chamber. Just a guess.

98 barrel mod.

Thank you
I've done 3 that way. First one is on a PTR receiver and has shot inch and a eighth at 100. Cut back the chamber end the minimum amount needed to cut the 8X33 chamber, leaving the front of the 8 Mauser neck as the neck for the Kurz. You'll end up with not quite enough length of the diameter that ends up inside the front of the receiver block. Although you could probably get away with without doing, I sleeve the very front of that area to get the needed length to match an original barrel. The rest is normal lathe work and when machining the area for the gas block it becomes apparent why you do not shorten the breech end any more than absolutely needed as you can run out of diameter at the front of the block mounting area. Ones I did were Yugo so actual German Mauser barrels could differ some.
Run coolant, take light cuts and use a steady avoiding warpage.
Pete

And there you have it from the MP44 Wizard! Pete, you are simply amazing. I never would have thought of that but it becomes obvious as you explain it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back