Third Party Press

Weapon lubrication and preservation in the Wehrmacht

I was actually crazy enough to go deer hunting with my father in -45C years ago (Late December hunt in Alberta, Canada - last day of the season) and we certainly experienced problems due to the thickening of lubrication/oil in cold weather which resulted in bolt malfunctions. I was using a Weatherby Mark V and my father a Sako Finn Bear, both had issues in the cold weather. Since then I use modern Teflon coatings as a lubrication on my bolt and bolt internals. As they day went on, we periodically spent time in the vehicle warming the rifles, my father eventually did connect with a deer. Interesting to experience these problems first hand.

Very interesting article ++

Outstanding information!! Thank you for sharing this. Imagine mixing petroleum with your oil because you need functionality down to -50C!!! I wonder what the “frost proof” was made with? Great stuff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8x57IS,

Excellent primary source information. Do you know if the "linseed oil varnish" is still available in Germany, or what it consisted of? Would it be comparable to Boiled Linseed Oil?
BLO has a terrible reputation by most collectors, but having worked with a lot of antique furniture, I know that BLO, when applied correctly will take on a varnish type appearance after
many years.

I have often wondered if the "terrible" BLO appearance we often speak of, is due to its recent, and often incorrect application, and would it mellow to a more original appearance after 30/40 years of aging.

8x57IS,

Excellent primary source information. Do you know if the "linseed oil varnish" is still available in Germany, or what it consisted of? Would it be comparable to Boiled Linseed Oil?
BLO has a terrible reputation by most collectors, but having worked with a lot of antique furniture, I know that BLO, when applied correctly will take on a varnish type appearance after
many years.

I have often wondered if the "terrible" BLO appearance we often speak of, is due to its recent, and often incorrect application, and would it mellow to a more original appearance after 30/40 years of aging.

BLO is fine - it does not deserve the poor reputation it has, usually meted out by people who have no idea how to use it properly (as in SPARINGLY).

British/Commonwealth soldier and armourer doctrine for centuries regarding linseed stock oiling was once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year for life. And the amount of linseed oil used was literally a few drops on the ball of the thumb/palm, rubbed into the stock until it got hot (and will usually cause a blister if done RIGHT!). NOT on a rag, NOT slathered all over. DROPS. Either raw linseed (when boiled unavailable) or properly desaponified boiled linseed (back then, it did not contain the driers and other petrochems that today's linseed does).

I have done this technique for years. None look gooped, dark or horrible. And I have done it to walnut, beech, birch, coachwood, laminates.

People giving advice to use Tung Oil on military stocks is SERIOUSLY misinformed and historically incorrect. The USA used Tung Oil on Garand and other stocks from 1942 onwards - before that, it was LINSEED in the USA. I have never seen any document from any other nation using Tung Oil EXCEPT the USA (and modern Tung Oil also has driers added, though REAL Tung Oil is available)

French, I believe used a concoction of linseed and wax, and kept in the ellipse oil tins. This was a cleaner and a preservative.

The other German documents I have seen mention lackierend liensemenol - lacquering linseed oil. Was this the German equivalent of Danish/Scandinavian Oil? (again,t he traditional blend, not the modern crap)

Kriegsmarine Decree-Sheet - Stock preservation product

I have translated a part of a Kriegsmarine Decree-Sheet published by the Kriegsmarine High Command. The details about consumption rate and distribution are very interesting in my opinion.

317. Stock preservation product.

For the preservation of the rifle stocks, a protection and cleaning product as a substitute for Leinölfirnis (linseed oil varnish) get introduced for use at the troops and at the H.Za.

The stock protection and cleaning product is a vaseline-like paste of pure German raw materials, which is equally well suited for the care of the stocks made of walnut and laminate wood.

Designation: Stock protection and cleaning product,
Classification of equipment number: 47,
Equipment classification: Z,
Requisition number: Z.

The stock protection and cleaning product is basically only at the H.Za. kept in storage and can be obtained from there.

The rate of consumption is 1.5 kilograms per 100 K98k per month.

The procurement of the stock protection and cleaning product has been initiated. The procurement date will be announced in H. V. Bl.

Instructions for use of the stock protection and cleaning product.​
The vaseline-like paste should be applied with a soft rag on the wood of the rifle stock and well dipped. After five to ten minutes, rubbed with a dry cloth. Gradually, a closed, waxy coating forms, which temporarily loses its shine on contact with water, but prevents water from penetrating into the stock wood.

The troop and units get occasionally instructed in the weapon-cleaning-lessons by the Waffenmeister about the stock treatment and stock care with the stock protection and cleaning product.

O.K.H., January 7, 1938
7941/37 Jn 2 (VII).​

The decree also applies to the departments of the Kriegsmarine.

The new stock protection and cleaning product is to be requested from the ships and land-based Kriegsmarine units of the North Sea area from the Marinewerft (Navy Shipyard) and those of the Baltic Sea area from the Marinearsenal (Navy
Arsenal.

(V. Nr. 5731. MWa. IIIc. from April 27, 1938)​

Kriegsmarine Decree (1).jpg Kriegsmarine Decree (2).jpg

Regards,
Stephan

I'm glad you enjoy it and you are very welcome! :happy0180:

I was happy when I found these documents, Kriegsmarine decree sheets are very hard to come by and I had to share it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back