Third Party Press

Best way to store slings long term?

CanadianAR

Canadian Grizzly Eh
Staff member
I pretty much only keep slings that are original to guns. But I remove them as it makes handling the rifles a bit more risky and I like to see the sling cutout. Anyways whats the best way to store them long term. I dont handle them at all. Maybe in a ziplock bag? So whatever moisture they have wont leave? and cant be affected by other moisture? I really dont know, appreciate some ideas.

I only retain 1944 and '45 dated slings and also separate them from the rifle. Tag them as necessary with the rifle that they came from. As far as storage, I use a plastic tote with a good quantity of silica packs thrown in. Same for holsters, frogs and ammunition pouches. Never had any problems ....

... leather goes into a tomato (20# size) cardboard box from the Groc store. Nice lids, breathable and stackable

Interesting. Under what conditions would I worry about them drying out? Obviously a box isn’t sealed, and silica absorbs moisture. You see so many slings dried right out , I don’t need that. Haha

We use dry furnace heat for 4 months of the year, maybe more. And humid summers.

I pretty much only keep slings that are original to guns. But I remove them as it makes handling the rifles a bit more risky and I like to see the sling cutout. Anyways whats the best way to store them long term. I dont handle them at all. Maybe in a ziplock bag? So whatever moisture they have wont leave? and cant be affected by other moisture? I really dont know, appreciate some ideas.

I keep mine on my rifles. No one will ever appreciate them more than I do I guess, so I look at them. If they are not on a rifle then I put them in a zip lock bag. Of course I use Pechards to keep them from drying out. Keeps them flexible and they look great. Just don’t tell this one guy in the leather care thread.

Mine stay on my rifles too and also get used.

If they break or crack, oh well.... these old leather products are not deteriorating less as time goes on. Might as well enjoy them!

On the plus side, it makes the Slings that are locked away in all yer rubbermaids worth more! Hehehe

Mine stay on my rifles too and also get used.

If they break or crack, oh well.... these old leather products are not deteriorating less as time goes on. Might as well enjoy them!

On the plus side, it makes the Slings that are locked away in all yer rubbermaids worth more! Hehehe

I wouldn't trust an original german sling to hold an empty beer can. hahaha

Some are great I guess, but most seem fragile.

Interesting read Craig. Thanks.i may take some of all the advice. I’ll find some acid free tissue and wrap them up, And put them out of the light in a box. Probably a german crate. Haha

Interesting read Craig. Thanks.i may take some of all the advice. I’ll find some acid free tissue and wrap them up, And put them out of the light in a box. Probably a german crate. Haha

And be sure to handle everything with white cotton gloves ;) Museum conservation articles are valuable in the information they provide, not as check the box storage requirements. RH of 35-70 (50 being ideal), non-use/abuse of leather treatments, UV being bad, etc are helpful. My cave has a dehumidifier which runs at 50 RH. I have no mold or other problems. I strongly recommend a dehumidifier and proper HVAC.

As for a response to the OP question: some are on rifles if in nice shape, most are just as Slash stores them; tagged to the rifles they came off of in flat clear plastic bins.

Military Rifle Journal
Back