Third Party Press

Sling id

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
This came with a Mauser KKW.
Keeper appears period but sling leads me otherwise...
No maker marks.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• _DSC8349.jpg
    _DSC8349.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 81
  • _DSC8350.jpg
    _DSC8350.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 68
  • _DSC8351.jpg
    _DSC8351.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 70
I wonder if this isn't an original slide buckle with new leather sling and a cleaned up stock keeper. As a side note look at the work of welser2l5h on the bay. The two extra hole punches on the side of the button hole make me think someone couldn't get the button to stay in. I personally made a repro g98 sling with all original hardware 20 years ago. It's a sad fact but that kind of stuff is out there. All my opinion of course

Keeper looks ok. The sling looks to be replacement. How the buckle is sewn in can be telling; the thread pattern and the tapering/thinning (don't know the technical term) end are very nicely done on period slings, but not on reproductions. I've had Welser make a couple for me using the Mauser pattern and sewn in that distinctive manner, looking good to an untrained eye. However, he didn't have access to leather of the exact thickness and width and his H- buckle hardware was not proper size or shape and the hole punch for the keeper stud didn't replicate the period hole shape. All things considered, repros can look good and are functional, and help preserve the originals.

Military Rifle Journal
Back