Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vet bringback early Kornbusch 1916 a block

Default Vet bringback early Kornbusch 1916 a block

Before I give the description and pictures.

I got my Kornbusch, after almost five years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do want too thank my buddy Dave Roberts for locating this rifle for me. He even offered too pay the shop owners. Too hold this rifle for me at the store where it was being held for sale at. Truly believe him opening the door for me with the shop owners really helped out in the sale. Thanks buddy really do appreciate it Dave. And also want too give a thanks too Mike and Paul. You guys really taught me want too look for in my search for this really scarce rifle. Took the best pictures I could will get better ones uploaded when the weather is better and when I get a new camera. After 4000 plus pictures the flasher doesn't work anymore and its not focusing really well!

Anyway onto the rifle. Its all matching besides one part. The front trigger guard screw is unmarked as with the capture screws. But they match the wear and condition on the trigger guard group so could have been replaced along time ago. Stock does have some cosmetic issues. Its been duffle cut and the hand-guard has been cracked and repaired. Also a piece of the stock was also fixed by the receiver. Stock markings are really nice though. Only other issue was the front barrel band was on backwards when I got it. Who ever had it before the barrel band was beat onto the rifle the wrong way and the bayonet lug has a couple marks that show it. Got it off and corrected it but it wasn't easy took some time. The neatest thing I have too say about the rifle is the manufacture issues from WOK. Bolt fonts are really sloppy. The bayonet lug has a double stamp font like the first strike missed. The rear sight slider has some metal that was not completely milled out in the slider during production. Such a interesting startup and manufacturer.

Other then that I'm happy as hell with the rifle even with the issues. Its not going back too the shop only too be in my safe! I will say this after five years of searching I have only seen three Kornbusch rifles for sale. None in person only on gunbroker or a few sale sites. Anyway enjoy the pictures and this rifle as much as I do. Have too say it has been a hell of good year for me. Located three rifles this year that have taken years for me too find.

Receiver SN: 8761a
    Barrel SN: 8761a Krupp 24
    Front sight SN: 61
    Rear sight SN: 61
    Sight Slider SN: 61
    Ejector box SN: 61
    Trigger Sear SN: 61
    Front barrel band SN: 61
    Rear barrel band SN: 61
    Trigger guard SN: 8761
    Trigger guard screws SN: only the rear one is marked 61
    Floor Plate SN: 61
    Follower SN: 61
    Stock SN: 8761
    Hand guard SN: 8761
    Buttplate SN: 8761
    Bayonet lug SN: 61
    Cleaning Rod SN: none
    Bolt body SN: 8761a
    Extractor SN: 61
    Safety SN: 61
    Cocking piece SN: 61
    Bolt sleeve SN: 61
    Firing pin SN:61
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Warrior1354; 12-31-2017 at 11:32 PM.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

More pictures:

Last ones:

Congratulations! I was wondering when you were gonna show her off! Haha!

Exceptional rifle discovery, - it pays to develop a network to help you and Dave is well known for his resourcefulness. Excellent job running this one down!

Of course we have talked this over in some detail, but finding such an early WOK in this condition is very difficult, and typically expensive. Most people, collector or not, know WOK is rather elusive and difficult to get, it really is sort of the BSW of World War One, everyone knows not many were made, every one wants one and most one is likely to encounter has numerous problems, - worse most known are 1917 dated, collectively they out number 1915, 1916 and 1918 combined, both in ranges made and observations.

Anyway, amazing rifle due to it being so early, and its condition is pretty amazing too. Early and matching are not too often used in a sentence regarding WOK...

Thank you Paul my patience finally paid off personally I didn't think I would ever find one! Then Dave message's me here saying call me now! Really did not expect one too turn up for sale especially in a small local gunstore. They did asked me if I wanted too talk the price down being the item was on consignment. I didn't argue the price was fair and I was more then happy too pay the asking price.

I did want too ask you about one of the receiver markings. Has the same 0 number on the Amberg receivers. I wonder why?

Now that my WOK hunt is over its back too the Gew98 Erfurt hunt! There I go again trying too find another scarce rifle. Next I'll say I want a Simson Gew98. Oh thats right I do!

The Amberg "0" is slightly different, the WOK has a tail and its set back from the SR ridge, probably has a different purpose, though we do not exactly know what Amberg's purpose was. Personally your pictures were welcome because of the receiver details, mostly because i am interested in any links to DWM or Spandau involvement.

There are no similarities with DWM receivers of the same period, none whatsoever. Which supports the conclusion DWM wasn't significantly involved initially. Spandau receivers do have some similarities, the "0" or "q" on the WOK is often marked with a character in this general location, but Spandau has several consistent applications of odd alphanumeric characters at certain locations of the receiver. Probably some internal checking or acceptance. However you do not show the receiver in sufficient detail to compare all these positions.

Of course similarities among a small sample of receivers will prove nothing, but if the similarities are striking in anyway, they could lead to the evolution of a theory. Personally, I think Spandau was intimately involved in WOK set up, later DWM probably came involved, which is supported by information generally known (Storz probably, offhand i can't remember where I read this, possibly the 1939 semicentennial book, but 1916 was given as the year of DWM involvement with WOK, possibly/probably because of the significant difficulties to overcome with production).

Try and do some good (well lit/clear) pictures of the sides and all angles of the receiver. DWM and Spandau had distinct methods in marking their receivers, internal inspection or checks, perhaps your rifle can lead to similarities with one or the other.

Paul I'll get you some better receiver pictures. Pictures do seem to look better when their taken outside. Also going to get a new camera. Personally I think I wore my old one out by taking so many pictures of my rifles!

Congrats Warrior I know you've been looking for one of these. The collecting world is round and you've certainly helped out others, me included. Pic stickied for ref.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

What a great pickup! That duffle cut is clean, & the walnut (instead of beech stock is really good. I dislike beech stocks so very much...
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war"

George Santayana