Third Party Press

Vet bringback early Kornbusch 1916 a block

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Before I give the description and pictures.

I got my Kornbusch, after almost five years!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin1:

I do want too thank my buddy Dave Roberts for locating this rifle for me. He even offered too pay the shop owners. Too hold this rifle for me at the store where it was being held for sale at. Truly believe him opening the door for me with the shop owners really helped out in the sale. Thanks buddy really do appreciate it Dave. And also want too give a thanks too Mike and Paul. You guys really taught me want too look for in my search for this really scarce rifle. Took the best pictures I could will get better ones uploaded when the weather is better and when I get a new camera. After 4000 plus pictures the flasher doesn't work anymore and its not focusing really well!

Anyway onto the rifle. Its all matching besides one part. The front trigger guard screw is unmarked as with the capture screws. But they match the wear and condition on the trigger guard group so could have been replaced along time ago. Stock does have some cosmetic issues. Its been duffle cut and the hand-guard has been cracked and repaired. Also a piece of the stock was also fixed by the receiver. Stock markings are really nice though. Only other issue was the front barrel band was on backwards when I got it. Who ever had it before the barrel band was beat onto the rifle the wrong way and the bayonet lug has a couple marks that show it. Got it off and corrected it but it wasn't easy took some time. The neatest thing I have too say about the rifle is the manufacture issues from WOK. Bolt fonts are really sloppy. The bayonet lug has a double stamp font like the first strike missed. The rear sight slider has some metal that was not completely milled out in the slider during production. Such a interesting startup and manufacturer.

Other then that I'm happy as hell with the rifle even with the issues. Its not going back too the shop only too be in my safe! I will say this after five years of searching I have only seen three Kornbusch rifles for sale. None in person only on gunbroker or a few sale sites. Anyway enjoy the pictures and this rifle as much as I do. Have too say it has been a hell of good year for me. Located three rifles this year that have taken years for me too find.

Receiver SN: 8761a
Barrel SN: 8761a Krupp 24
Front sight SN: 61
Rear sight SN: 61
Sight Slider SN: 61
Ejector box SN: 61
Trigger Sear SN: 61
Front barrel band SN: 61
Rear barrel band SN: 61
Trigger guard SN: 8761
Trigger guard screws SN: only the rear one is marked 61
Floor Plate SN: 61
Follower SN: 61
Stock SN: 8761
Hand guard SN: 8761
Buttplate SN: 8761
Bayonet lug SN: 61
Cleaning Rod SN: none
Bolt body SN: 8761a
Extractor SN: 61
Safety SN: 61
Cocking piece SN: 61
Bolt sleeve SN: 61
Firing pin SN:61

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 160
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 112
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 59
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 68
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 63
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
More pictures:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 42
Last ones:

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 47
Exceptional rifle discovery, - it pays to develop a network to help you and Dave is well known for his resourcefulness. Excellent job running this one down!

Of course we have talked this over in some detail, but finding such an early WOK in this condition is very difficult, and typically expensive. Most people, collector or not, know WOK is rather elusive and difficult to get, it really is sort of the BSW of World War One, everyone knows not many were made, every one wants one and most one is likely to encounter has numerous problems, - worse most known are 1917 dated, collectively they out number 1915, 1916 and 1918 combined, both in ranges made and observations.

Anyway, amazing rifle due to it being so early, and its condition is pretty amazing too. Early and matching are not too often used in a sentence regarding WOK...

Thank you Paul my patience finally paid off personally I didn't think I would ever find one! Then Dave message's me here saying call me now! Really did not expect one too turn up for sale especially in a small local gunstore. They did asked me if I wanted too talk the price down being the item was on consignment. I didn't argue the price was fair and I was more then happy too pay the asking price.

I did want too ask you about one of the receiver markings. Has the same 0 number on the Amberg receivers. I wonder why?

Now that my WOK hunt is over its back too the Gew98 Erfurt hunt! There I go again trying too find another scarce rifle. Next I'll say I want a Simson Gew98. Oh thats right I do!

The Amberg "0" is slightly different, the WOK has a tail and its set back from the SR ridge, probably has a different purpose, though we do not exactly know what Amberg's purpose was. Personally your pictures were welcome because of the receiver details, mostly because i am interested in any links to DWM or Spandau involvement.

There are no similarities with DWM receivers of the same period, none whatsoever. Which supports the conclusion DWM wasn't significantly involved initially. Spandau receivers do have some similarities, the "0" or "q" on the WOK is often marked with a character in this general location, but Spandau has several consistent applications of odd alphanumeric characters at certain locations of the receiver. Probably some internal checking or acceptance. However you do not show the receiver in sufficient detail to compare all these positions.

Of course similarities among a small sample of receivers will prove nothing, but if the similarities are striking in anyway, they could lead to the evolution of a theory. Personally, I think Spandau was intimately involved in WOK set up, later DWM probably came involved, which is supported by information generally known (Storz probably, offhand i can't remember where I read this, possibly the 1939 semicentennial book, but 1916 was given as the year of DWM involvement with WOK, possibly/probably because of the significant difficulties to overcome with production).

Try and do some good (well lit/clear) pictures of the sides and all angles of the receiver. DWM and Spandau had distinct methods in marking their receivers, internal inspection or checks, perhaps your rifle can lead to similarities with one or the other.

Attachments

• MVC-437F.JPG
    MVC-437F.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 38
Paul I'll get you some better receiver pictures. Pictures do seem to look better when their taken outside. Also going to get a new camera. Personally I think I wore my old one out by taking so many pictures of my rifles!

Congrats Warrior :happy0180: I know you've been looking for one of these. The collecting world is round and you've certainly helped out others, me included. :thumbsup: Pic stickied for ref.

What a great pickup! That duffle cut is clean, & the walnut (instead of beech stock is really good. I dislike beech stocks so very much...

What a great pickup! That duffle cut is clean, & the walnut (instead of beech stock is really good. I dislike beech stocks so very much...

Thanks Mike your WOK rifles in the picture section really helped me in the knowledge field on these rifles. Not to mention the key information Paul told me what to look for as well. I will say this before I join the forum here I was on the hunt for one of these. And finding good information before I joined was downright tough and usually the quality was poor. So glad I join the collecting Community here learned a lot from all of you thank you.

Killer find! That is an exceptional gewehr!

Thanks Mauser1908 its been a long time coming but I'm glad I finally have one! I'm betting my addiction will not stop after this one there are many other Gew98 rifles I'm hunting for lol. Regrettably I had too sell one of my Gew98 rifles too make room in the safe for this one. But I'm glad I was able too sell a nice Gew98 too another collector too help complete his collection.

Congrats Warrior :happy0180: I know you've been looking for one of these. The collecting world is round and you've certainly helped out others, me included. :thumbsup: Pic stickied for ref.

Craig
I agree with Your comment 100% what comes around goes around and I do believe in helping fellow collectors . So long as its not a Sniper Rifle those are mine :biggrin1:. Jordan it was a pleasure to help You get this gem . Best Regards .

Glad to see these Pics as the shop pics did not do it JUSTICE !!!!!!!! Looking at these . :thumbsup:

Craig
I agree with Your comment 100% what comes around goes around and I do believe in helping fellow collectors . So long as its not a Sniper Rifle those are mine :biggrin1:. Jordan it was a pleasure to help You get this gem . Best Regards .

Glad to see these Pics as the shop pics did not do it JUSTICE !!!!!!!! Looking at these . :thumbsup:

Dave it was becasue of you that this deal happen can't thank you enough. Breakfast is on me when were all down for the SOS show since I can't locate you a nice 98k sniper! :thumbsup:

I can't make it out in the picture, what proof is on the front band? I have a 1916 Kornbusch I'd like to get a somewhat right front band for

Military Rifle Journal
Back