Third Party Press

Luftwaffe air superiority restored after 75 years

I remember watching a couple programs on this a few years ago. The Germans had more advanced jet aircraft on the drawing board then what we had in the Korea War and later on. Its quite scary what could have happen if German jet aircraft were put in full production early in the war or if the MP44 type assault rifle was adopted as the main service rifle as well.

The Do-335 has always been a favorite of mine and a few dozen were actually made. Brute of a plane and one of the fastest piston-engined planes of the war. The trouble with the advanced jet designs were the engines themselves. They were notoriously unreliable and finicky with very short service lives before needing overhauling. With the war as it was, resources were limited and the necessary materials, alloys and R&D just wasn't what they needed to be. I believe the Go-229 was one of the most exotic German designs to actually fly during the war. I can only imagine how impressive it must've been to see in flight!

I think that in order to compare apples to apples, the thrust to overall weight ratio needs to be taken into consideration. These model airplane jet engines are fairly powerful and maneuvers flown with R/C planes may not have been possible with what they had in WW2. The currently flown Me262 are powered by two GE CJ610 engines with about 3,000 lbf thrust each, compared to the original Junkers Jumo 004 with about 2,000 lbf and BMW 003 with about 1,800 lbf.

Nevertheless, the airplane designs were suprisingly innovative for a technology that had just hatched. There is no doubt that an earlier deployment could have changed some course of action in the sky over Germany but the supply lines, especially the continuous generation of synthetic and fossil fuel, were not capable of adequately feeding Hitler's war machine.

Very interesting posts. I read Sharks of The Air by James Neal Harvey a while back. Great book on the development of the Me-262 for anyone interested.

Once again the Germans proved technological superiority with their advanced aircraft designs. Even the Focke Wulf 190a model was a technological leap. It has a totally hydro mechanical computer that set your engine parameters reducing workload on the pilot. Changing the Throttle into a Power Lever and removing the mixture, blade pitch etc.. amazing.

My secret passion is these planes, I have purchased numerous blueprints of them and am always looking for more.

Great innovators but lousy in understanding the need to settle on a standard design, mass produce that design and insist on the fundamental importance of interchangeable parts.

In 1939 the only branch of the German military that was on anything even approaching wartime readiness was the army and even that suffered from serious logistical deficiencies.

Classical German right? Outstanding tactical execution only to be foiled logistically. My best example is Rommel in Africa. Won numerous battles outnumbered and outgunned but couldn’t get supplies across the Med!!

Military Rifle Journal
Back