Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Proper 8mm sizing dies for reloading the G43

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    614

    Default cases beat up

    Quote Originally Posted by KneverKnew View Post
    PRVI 198 grain FMJ factory load. Small aperature. What causes these marks on the case? Does it look damaged beyond being safe to reload?
    Attachment 166906
    I sized and reloaded similarly damaged cases as above to load the Hornady 150 grain load. After firing those, the brass looked better but still had marks. What causes them?
    Attachment 166907

    Iíve put in new recoil and action spring provided by the previous owner but have ordered new Wolf spring to try just in case. I may try to make a smaller aperature by drilling a smaller hole in a solid screw insert.
    Likely good to remember those rifles were designed to shoot steel cased ammo with no thought of how the cases might be damaged on ejection. Should be several guys here with experience reloading for the G43. I'd think some case denting might be expected and tolerable as far as those dented cases being just fine to reload.
    Pete

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Florida, United States
    Posts
    167

    Default

    I have a large number of different powders that I can try. I will look into which one has the best burn rate. I selected reloader 15 to start with because I found some posts where people were having good results using it with the G 43. The failure to extract happened on the rounds with the 200 grain bullets and the minimum charge of reloader 15. I used my iPhones slow motion video to film the firing and it was very clear to see the bolt coming back An inch or two and then forward again without ever trying to eject the case. The action rod was nowhere near being in the way as it was very quickly retracted back into place. The options I have are to increase the powder charge so that the system operates correctly with the smallest aperture or stay at the same powder charge and increase the size of the aperture. What I choose to do will be based on my research into the burn rate for the reloader 15. If it appears to be too slow I will switch to a different powder and start over at the smallest aperture and go from there. I appreciate all of your help. The journey continues.

  3. #13
    Senior Member GunKraut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Legal resident of Kommiefornia
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KneverKnew View Post
    PRVI 198 grain FMJ factory load. Small aperature. What causes these marks on the case? Does it look damaged beyond being safe to reload?
    Attachment 166906
    I sized and reloaded similarly damaged cases as above to load the Hornady 150 grain load. After firing those, the brass looked better but still had marks. What causes them?
    Attachment 166907

    Iíve put in new recoil and action spring provided by the previous owner but have ordered new Wolf spring to try just in case. I may try to make a smaller aperature by drilling a smaller hole in a solid screw insert.


    The shell cases, although beat up, are still suited for reloading. Watch the scrapes at the bottom as the cases could rupture right there with too much head space.
    Stop playing around with different powders and load with 44gr of IMR4064 as recommended in the previous post.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Florida, United States
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GunKraut View Post


    The shell cases, although beat up, are still suited for reloading. Watch the scrapes at the bottom as the cases could rupture right there with too much head space.
    Stop playing around with different powders and load with 44gr of IMR4064 as recommended in the previous post.
    Thanks for your recommendations. If the cases did rupture at your hose points during firing would the rifle be damaged if everything was still locked in Battery? I know itís definately not desirable. Iíll have to get some IMR 4064 to try.
    Iím wondering if the front crease in the case might be caused by the case striking the forward feed lips of the magazine during feeding. It is one of the repros. And the cases hit at that point when I manually remove cases from the mag. Itís easy to tell the rear mark/ gouge is from the case hitting the leading edge of the bolt housing during ejection.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Florida, United States
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    What loads are you trying with each? I have had great results with the 150s. IMR4064 44gr is a favorite and the K43 shooter loves that one. The other G43 shooter does well with it too but slight improvement with IMR 4895 45gr in that one. Each is a fairly light load that won't beat the rifle up and does fine at 100 yards.
    can you tell me which size aperture you have installed when using the IMR4064/ 44grain and IMR4895/ 45grain loads? I've loaded some up with both powders and have my smallest aperture in. Best I can measure it is .055". I'm not sure this is accurate though.

  6. #16
    Senior Member GunKraut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Legal resident of Kommiefornia
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KneverKnew View Post
    can you tell me which size aperture you have installed when using the IMR4064/ 44grain and IMR4895/ 45grain loads? I've loaded some up with both powders and have my smallest aperture in. Best I can measure it is .055". I'm not sure this is accurate though.
    For IMR4064/44gr I use between 0.05" - 0.06" orifice diameter. Use the smallest diameter that still allows for reliable cycling.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    151

    Default

    I use the largest. Both I shoot with have the later cylinders that are ported though. It would not cycle with the smallest and ported.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Florida, United States
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Thank you both for the info. I had a feeling i might need to go up in orifice size especially with these stronger springs. I need to find a good way to measure these hole sizes.

  9. #19
    Senior Member GunKraut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Legal resident of Kommiefornia
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KneverKnew View Post
    I need to find a good way to measure these hole sizes.
    Drill bits.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Florida, United States
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GunKraut View Post
    Drill bits.
    I thought of that. Will have to look but donít think I have a drillbit that small.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •