Third Party Press

Proper 8mm sizing dies for reloading the G43

Status
Not open for further replies.

KneverKnew

Simply put, I'm having trouble getting my Prvi fired brass to size correctly using Lee 8mm Mauser dies. Have others run into similar issues with Lee or other dies? Which dies work best for pushing the shoulder back to the proper position for the G43?

Has anyone loaded Speer 200 grain Soft Points for the G43? If so, what was your OAL?
The Speer books says 3.200". This does not work in my G43, with the bullets ogive running into the lands and grooves requiring the bullet to be seated way deaper than the book calls for.

I use Lee equipment to reload for G.43 and Mauser rifles with no problems. Are you full length or neck sizing? Full length is needed for the G.43 but you can get away with only neck sizing for a Mauser. Only using 150 grain bullets though.

ctg. headspace

Simply put, I'm having trouble getting my Prvi fired brass to size correctly using Lee 8mm Mauser dies. Have others run into similar issues with Lee or other dies? Which dies work best for pushing the shoulder back to the proper position for the G43?

Has anyone loaded Speer 200 grain Soft Points for the G43? If so, what was your OAL?
The Speer books says 3.200". This does not work in my G43, with the bullets ogive running into the lands and grooves requiring the bullet to be seated way deaper than the book calls for.

Had a problem way back when getting .308 cases fired in my FAL rifles to resize to where they would chamber after reloading. I took about .030 off the bottom of the size die, got a .308 ctg. headspace gauge and adjusted the die to resize as needed per the gauge. Could try without the gauge, adjusting the die a bit at a time till cases chambered.
Same as done with the .308 would apply to your 8 Mauser rounds.
Have to wonder if those 200gr. soft points are appropriate for 8 Mauser in a G43. I doubt the ogive matches that of a regular military type .
Pete

Never had a problem with LEE dies. Are you trimming your cases to proper length (57 mm) after resizing? Best bullet for G/K43 is 150gr Hornady # 3232.

lee dies

Like Pete, I also have had to use the lathe to remove steel from the base of some dies, lee included, to get the resized case to headspace properly in a case gauge. While a bolt action rifle user might only feel a little resistance when chambering a long case, the G43 can fire OOB with the combination of long headspace and a boxer primer. Even the CCI #34 is no guarantee of safety if the case is to long in either length or headspace. Buy the case gauge and use German military ammunition to compare case headspace/length with your finished reloads in any auto loading rifles. Just my .$02. JH

Had a problem way back when getting .308 cases fired in my FAL rifles to resize to where they would chamber after reloading. I took about .030 off the bottom of the size die, got a .308 ctg. headspace gauge and adjusted the die to resize as needed per the gauge. Could try without the gauge, adjusting the die a bit at a time till cases chambered.
Same as done with the .308 would apply to your 8 Mauser rounds.
Have to wonder if those 200gr. soft points are appropriate for 8 Mauser in a G43. I doubt the ogive matches that of a regular military type .
Pete
I’m positive the ogive isn’t the same. Book says seat to 3.20”. I had to go to 3.075” to chamber without resistance. My initial load with re-15 grouped real well using smallest aperature in shooters kit, about 3”, but did not cycle/ eject case. Velocity was 2023 FPS average. The load using the 150 Hornady bullet cycled fine but group was very spread out. Maybe 5”. More testing needed.

What loads are you trying with each? I have had great results with the 150s. IMR4064 44gr is a favorite and the K43 shooter loves that one. The other G43 shooter does well with it too but slight improvement with IMR 4895 45gr in that one. Each is a fairly light load that won't beat the rifle up and does fine at 100 yards.

What loads are you trying with each? I have had great results with the 150s. IMR4064 44gr is a favorite and the K43 shooter loves that one. The other G43 shooter does well with it too but slight improvement with IMR 4895 45gr in that one. Each is a fairly light load that won't beat the rifle up and does fine at 100 yards.
This was my first try with reloads in my ac44 shooter.
I’ve got the smallest aperature in the shooters kit that came with the gun. I don’t know if it is the smallest available but it is the smallest I have other than the solid screw which would make the gun manual bolt action.

I tried 150 grain SP Speer in resized once fires FEderal cases, WLR primers, 48 grains RE-15 which cycled and fed every round. Did not lock back on empty. Groups were not great, around 5”-6” at 100 yards. Average V was 2475 FPS. Speer book values were 47 grains/ 2459 FPS, MAX 51 grains/ 2726 FPS. Easy shooting and mininmal damage to cases. Ejected 10-15 feet.

I tried Speer 200 grain SP in once fired PRVI cases (PPU), WLR, started at minimum load of 40 grains RE-15. I got 2012 FPS. These grouped well, at about 3” at 100 yards but did not even eject the spent case.
Books said 40/2051, MAX 44/2267. So I was in the ball park and have room to increase charge until it cycles.

I have questions about what’s causing Marks and dents on the brass but may start a different thread. Or should I just do it here? I have pictures.

I now have tcbs dies that I am using to load my next batch. It seems to be doing better.

Last edited:
PRVI 198 grain FMJ factory load. Small aperature. What causes these marks on the case? Does it look damaged beyond being safe to reload?
503DD3FE-37A2-47D8-9368-87EEBE3CF2E1.jpg
I sized and reloaded similarly damaged cases as above to load the Hornady 150 grain load. After firing those, the brass looked better but still had marks. What causes them?
2B5F0359-579A-4E5B-9AB4-5294B6A86512.jpg

I’ve put in new recoil and action spring provided by the previous owner but have ordered new Wolf spring to try just in case. I may try to make a smaller aperature by drilling a smaller hole in a solid screw insert.

I have not used this powder at all so this is more a question, what is the burn rate? Is this a slower burning powder? If so exercise extreme caution using in a semiautomatic as they often don't like it. The grains you are using sound a little high to me but again I'm not the authority or have no experience with RE15. A quick search online though seems it's close to IMR4350 if so fine for bolt action but may be too slow for an autoloader.

If you are having extraction and ejection problems this may contribute too. Also if the smallest won't eject the spent case I would move up to the next size. I use the largest with a ported original cylinder and still has enough power to cycle. The smallest with the ported didn't cut it with the loads I shoot.

The nick towards the back of your case photo is common with these rifles. I think it's during ejection they rattle around a little and hit the guide rail on the receiver. The mark running the length is possibly the operating rod still being rearward during extraction and ejection. This could possibly be why you said you are not ejecting. The case is being extracted but not clearing the rod and the bolt travels forward again.

cases beat up

PRVI 198 grain FMJ factory load. Small aperature. What causes these marks on the case? Does it look damaged beyond being safe to reload?
View attachment 166906
I sized and reloaded similarly damaged cases as above to load the Hornady 150 grain load. After firing those, the brass looked better but still had marks. What causes them?
View attachment 166907

I’ve put in new recoil and action spring provided by the previous owner but have ordered new Wolf spring to try just in case. I may try to make a smaller aperature by drilling a smaller hole in a solid screw insert.

Likely good to remember those rifles were designed to shoot steel cased ammo with no thought of how the cases might be damaged on ejection. Should be several guys here with experience reloading for the G43. I'd think some case denting might be expected and tolerable as far as those dented cases being just fine to reload.
Pete

I have a large number of different powders that I can try. I will look into which one has the best burn rate. I selected reloader 15 to start with because I found some posts where people were having good results using it with the G 43. The failure to extract happened on the rounds with the 200 grain bullets and the minimum charge of reloader 15. I used my iPhones slow motion video to film the firing and it was very clear to see the bolt coming back An inch or two and then forward again without ever trying to eject the case. The action rod was nowhere near being in the way as it was very quickly retracted back into place. The options I have are to increase the powder charge so that the system operates correctly with the smallest aperture or stay at the same powder charge and increase the size of the aperture. What I choose to do will be based on my research into the burn rate for the reloader 15. If it appears to be too slow I will switch to a different powder and start over at the smallest aperture and go from there. I appreciate all of your help. The journey continues.

View attachment 166906
View attachment 166907

The shell cases, although beat up, are still suited for reloading. Watch the scrapes at the bottom as the cases could rupture right there with too much head space.
Stop playing around with different powders and load with 44gr of IMR4064 as recommended in the previous post.

The shell cases, although beat up, are still suited for reloading. Watch the scrapes at the bottom as the cases could rupture right there with too much head space.
Stop playing around with different powders and load with 44gr of IMR4064 as recommended in the previous post.

Thanks for your recommendations. If the cases did rupture at your hose points during firing would the rifle be damaged if everything was still locked in Battery? I know it’s definately not desirable. I’ll have to get some IMR 4064 to try.
I’m wondering if the front crease in the case might be caused by the case striking the forward feed lips of the magazine during feeding. It is one of the repros. And the cases hit at that point when I manually remove cases from the mag. It’s easy to tell the rear mark/ gouge is from the case hitting the leading edge of the bolt housing during ejection.

can you tell me which size aperture you have installed when using the IMR4064/ 44grain and IMR4895/ 45grain loads? I've loaded some up with both powders and have my smallest aperture in. Best I can measure it is .055". I'm not sure this is accurate though.

can you tell me which size aperture you have installed when using the IMR4064/ 44grain and IMR4895/ 45grain loads? I've loaded some up with both powders and have my smallest aperture in. Best I can measure it is .055". I'm not sure this is accurate though.

For IMR4064/44gr I use between 0.05" - 0.06" orifice diameter. Use the smallest diameter that still allows for reliable cycling.

I use the largest. Both I shoot with have the later cylinders that are ported though. It would not cycle with the smallest and ported.

Thank you both for the info. I had a feeling i might need to go up in orifice size especially with these stronger springs. I need to find a good way to measure these hole sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Military Rifle Journal
Back