Third Party Press

restoring a LSR

mpkills

Thinking about purchasing a LSR that was brought back unfinished, some side holes missing, and putting a scope on it. What would be the approx. cost to restore and would it hurt the value of the gun or help it? Are there anyone even around who could drill the holes needed? Just curious.

Larry

Thinking about purchasing a LSR that was brought back unfinished, some side holes missing, and putting a scope on it. What would be the approx. cost to restore and would it hurt the value of the gun or help it? Are there anyone even around who could drill the holes needed? Just curious.

Larry

That is not a restoration. That would be more like you just ruined it. Parts are expensive anyway and who would want to waste parts on a gun that was never a WWII German Sniper. If it came home undrilled it should be left that way. Although I am sure many have already been drilled. I already know one guy who has probably ruined his undrilled BCD 4 receiver rifle and it will someday end up being sold to someone as an authentic WWII German LSR, which it is not. Needless to say the cutout will be wrong on his and the stock will look funny.
That other guy I know might end up tricking the unsuspecting novice collector someday. So, in my opinion that is not a restoration, but fakery. Even if you have the best of intentions none of us can keep this stuff forever.

Last edited:
I think I have seen that rifle you're talking about. It's an interesting piece but it could seriously take someone's money down the road if it was finished. I mean drill the holes that it needs, put a scope and mount on it and then sell it as all original brought back condition. Yeah not a good situation in my opinion.

Yeah, adding a mount and drilling holes isn’t a restoration. If the guns just a barreled action I guess I could see making a repro sniper but not adding pins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I have seen that rifle you're talking about. It's an interesting piece but it could seriously take someone's money down the road if it was finished. I mean drill the holes that it needs, put a scope and mount on it and then sell it as all original brought back condition. Yeah not a good situation in my opinion.

The guy who bought the undrilled LSR rifle also had a LSR scope rail with him to compare the holes. Looks fishy I would say. If we are talking about the same rifle.

Last edited:
It's the one on Gunbroker, it was at the MAX Show this year. Not sure what would be wrong with restoring it to keep, I just want a good original one? Doesn't really have to be all matching!

I think the issue is, it was never an original sniper rifle. Obviously, it's your money and your perogative but it would be a replica and not a restoration. Not all thick-walled 98ks wound up as sniper rifles but they are still valuable in their own right! So many have been turned into post-war faux snipers that they are pretty hard to find unmolested.

If that is an original, matching unfinished rifle what you want to do with it would make it into something on par with a Mitchell's Mauser.

It's the one on Gunbroker, it was at the MAX Show this year. Not sure what would be wrong with restoring it to keep, I just want a good original one? Doesn't really have to be all matching!

does not get it

I just went through this with another guy on another site, who bought a demilled supposed rare Mosin , two holes drilled through the receiver and barrel, the bolt face cut off. he wants to restore this rifle cause its rare . when I explained he was not restoring anything he got pissed and said I killed his dream ( wet dream more like it) he still does not get it

it is what it is

The problem is Your NOT restoring the Rifle . Because it Never was Completed . Now if it had already had the holes drilled for the Pins then that would be a Restoration . It is IMPOSSIBLE to Restore something that never was .

To many of these UnFinished LSR`s have had collectors and Unscrupulous types do exactly what You are contemplating and in the end these Post War Completed Long Side Rails get Sold as Period Original Long Side Rails . I would bet that the people that own such an example have NO Idea that what they believe to be an Original is really not , sadly if You point this out to them they usually dismiss Your comment as being disingenuous .

Every so often a Real LSR that is missing its Base can be found for sale . I would suggest waiting and doing a Legitimate Restoration. Please do not turn another 3 hole BCD 4 into a Post War forgery !!!!! Best Regards

The problem is Your NOT restoring the Rifle . Because it Never was Completed . Now if it had already had the holes drilled for the Pins then that would be a Restoration . It is IMPOSSIBLE to Restore something that never was .

To many of these UnFinished LSR`s have had collectors and Unscrupulous types do exactly what You are contemplating and in the end these Post War Completed Long Side Rails get Sold as Period Original Long Side Rails . I would bet that the people that own such an example have NO Idea that what they believe to be an Original is really not , sadly if You point this out to them they usually dismiss Your comment as being disingenuous .

Every so often a Real LSR that is missing its Base can be found for sale . I would suggest waiting and doing a Legitimate Restoration. Please do not turn another 3 hole BCD 4 into a Post War forgery !!!!! Best Regards

+1. A bcd 4 thick wall rifle that was never finished as a LSR is another rifle variation and is collectible as such. To turn it into a LSR would be to ruin a correct, collectible rifle. Please don't do this.

Points well taken, maybe a nice single claw will appear, hint, hint!!:thumbsup:

I still have a nice K43 sniper up for trade bait!!

+1. A bcd 4 thick wall rifle that was never finished as a LSR is another rifle variation and is collectible as such. To turn it into a LSR would be to ruin a correct, collectible rifle. Please don't do this.

I have one of these 3 hole rifles that was captured post war, refinished and made into a VOPO rifle. Years ago, I took it out of the original stock VOPO stock and made an LSR clone - but I did not tap the pin holes, so anything I did could be reversed and original parts were kept (Safety, Butt Plate, etc.). The result was a clone - not a restoration. There are pictures of it here somewhere on the forum. Would I do it again? Likely not, but luckily anything I did can easily be undone with the swapping of parts.

In order to avoid drilling the pin holes, I just shortened the pins so they rested up against the side of the milled receiver and secured the mount only with screws. I wasn't to worried about the pins, I knew I wouldn't be firing the rifle in the first place.

Bottom line, it is a desirable variation that should not be altered.

I have a real partly(a few small parts are incorrect) restored JPS LSR that I may sale. Restoration is expensive so if you find a LSR with no base you will end up with a lot of money in it. Planned on taking mine to SOS/NGD.

Bottom line, it is a desirable variation that should not be altered.

I have a real partly(a few small parts are incorrect) restored JPS LSR that I may sale. Restoration is expensive so if you find a LSR with no base you will end up with a lot of money in it. Planned on taking mine to SOS/NGD.

Hello Mike. A LSR makes really nice intro German Sniper. Lots of scopes available as well. Hopefully the guy who started this thread will see this. See you at the SOS show.

Hello Mike. A LSR makes really nice intro German Sniper. Lots of scopes available as well. Hopefully the guy who started this thread will see this. See you at the SOS show.

Thanks Brian. Look forward to seeing you and the guys. Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I will not end up with a traumatic brain injury from a tanker TT this year like last year. This rifle has JPS X block mount and a scope, restored by Vaughn99. I need to change the stock to a JPS that I picked up. Definitely an entry level rifle with great bore but definitely real with matching bolt and sniper safety.

Happy New Year to all.

Military Rifle Journal
Back