Third Party Press

Restore or Not Restore G43 ac44

Field Stripped it (easier than I thought) and took a few more pics of the gas/piston area and trigger assembly:
Piston1.png
Piston2.jpg
Piston3.jpg
TriggerAssem1.jpg
TriggerAssem2.jpg

Ordered some Kroil, not the cheapest stuff around. I'll pour some in a clear bowl so I can see the gold flakes that must be in it :p Grabbed a couple of new fine bristoled brass brushes too for good measure. Also, gonna try that Big 45 Frontier pad to see if it is any good - has some good reviews when used on finished metal.

Still not sure what to do about a solution to clean/sanitize the wood though.

Yes, Kroil is almost too expensive. I got my can about four years ago from Collector’s store in Houston. Never tried the Big 45 Frontier pad so hopefully it’s not some terrible abrasive thing. The rifle parts will need to soak a while in the Kroil.

The wood, just hold off and eventually the solution on that will eventually appear. It does need to dry out before putting the rifle components back in it or you will be revisiting rust and probably pitting again.

It looks like a lot of the “rust” is actually yucked up cosmoline that almost looks like it can be picked off.

Just be patient as this will be a slow process.

It's funny to me. Obviously every person is unique, but I actually like the smell of Kroil. The wife hates it and always calls it 'gasoline'. :laugh: And I love the smell of Ballistol. I could probably wash with it if required. That smell she tolerates.

It’s just me I guess as I can barely tolerate that smell.

Yes, Kroil is almost too expensive. I got my can about four years ago from Collector’s store in Houston. Never tried the Big 45 Frontier pad so hopefully it’s not some terrible abrasive thing. The rifle parts will need to soak a while in the Kroil.

The wood, just hold off and eventually the solution on that will eventually appear. It does need to dry out before putting the rifle components back in it or you will be revisiting rust and probably pitting again.

It looks like a lot of the “rust” is actually yucked up cosmoline that almost looks like it can be picked off.

Just be patient as this will be a slow process.
Yup, patience is my middle name. Since this probably hasn't been taken apart and cleaned since WWII, I will be going over all parts with a fine tooth comb, cleaning, reoiling, etc.

My previous project guns have been complete refinish jobs, which for me is straighforward and easy to do. When done the gun looks new-ish. This is different for me because I am not trying to make it look new - so its a different approach for me. Hope the elbow grease and kroil pays off.

I'm sure it will. Here's something to give you a little inspiration.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?3702-Bustin-byf-rust&highlight=rust

I forgot about that one! I’ll bet this rifle comes out like that (hopefully).

Thanks guys. I'll post progress pics as I go. Gotta get the Christmas stuff back in the attic before I can start -- apparently my workbench makes a great storage table for my wife during the holidays.

Not trying to rush you but maybe spray it down with WD40 (Not the wood of course!) and let it sit while you wait to get your work area arrainged and ready to go. The longer you wait with it untreated and sitting with rust, the longer that metal cancer has to eat away at it, get imbeded and start pitting.

Not trying to rush you but maybe spray it down with WD40 (Not the wood of course!) and let it sit while you wait to get your work area arrainged and ready to go. The longer you wait with it untreated and sitting with rust, the longer that metal cancer has to eat away at it, get imbeded and start pitting.

It’s already got a coating of gun oil on it plus it’s been two months since the flood...

When my supplies coming in tomorrow (my thanks Amazon Prime) I can get started.

Military Rifle Journal
Back