Third Party Press
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: BSW DSM Restore

Nice work Halygon, the band bluing came out great!!

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    ..It had been brought down to the white though, which was fine with me as it gave me a chance to color match.
    Great job on the color matching! It looks spot on to me. As a reference point, how many cycles did you have to rust/card this to get to that level?
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Great job on the color matching! It looks spot on to me. As a reference point, how many cycles did you have to rust/card this to get to that level?
    I'd be interested to know as well. Any resource you used, or could recommend, on how to get a good rust blue finish?

Quote Originally Posted by WreckTangle View Post
    I'm amazed. I would never have thought you could bring it back to the condition you have from what it was. Very nice.

Did you ever get the drawings?

I just snatched a JGA DSM34 that will need to be restored off an online auction for cheap. I haven't gotten it since it's coming out of NC. Pictures weren't the best but your resto has given me hope.
    Unfortunately no drawings. I am still hopeful someone will have a extractor or repro-extractor for sale that I find.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WreckTangle View Post
    I'd be interested to know as well. Any resource you used, or could recommend, on how to get a good rust blue finish?
    Since the band had already been bead blasted, it was fairly porous -- which is exactly what you need for rust bluing. It tooks me 5 cycles to get it where it is. I basically ran a couple cycles then compared it to the barrel until I got the color I wanted. If my barrel had more bluing on it, it probably would have taken twice as many more.

I used this stuff to inhibit the rust: http://www.laurelmountainforge.com/b...brown_inst.htm

For those unfamilar, the process runs like this (with deblued metal - white vinegar removes bluing)

1. Degrease
    2. Apply rust inhibiter
    3. Hang out to rust in a moist environment ( I hang my parts over (and partially in) a pot filled with water. Some folks have enclosures that they keep humid.
    4. After a good bit of rust is in place, boil rusted parts in distilled water for 5 min - rust turns black
    5. Card (ie scrub off with a fine steel brush) the black "rust" to see the blued metal
    6. Repeat steps 2-5 until bluing is dark enough