Third Party Press

BSW DSM Restore

..It had been brought down to the white though, which was fine with me as it gave me a chance to color match.

Great job on the color matching! It looks spot on to me. As a reference point, how many cycles did you have to rust/card this to get to that level?

Great job on the color matching! It looks spot on to me. As a reference point, how many cycles did you have to rust/card this to get to that level?

I'd be interested to know as well. Any resource you used, or could recommend, on how to get a good rust blue finish?

I'm amazed. I would never have thought you could bring it back to the condition you have from what it was. Very nice.

Did you ever get the drawings?

I just snatched a JGA DSM34 that will need to be restored off an online auction for cheap. I haven't gotten it since it's coming out of NC. Pictures weren't the best but your resto has given me hope.
Unfortunately no drawings. I am still hopeful someone will have a extractor or repro-extractor for sale that I find.

I'd be interested to know as well. Any resource you used, or could recommend, on how to get a good rust blue finish?
Since the band had already been bead blasted, it was fairly porous -- which is exactly what you need for rust bluing. It tooks me 5 cycles to get it where it is. I basically ran a couple cycles then compared it to the barrel until I got the color I wanted. If my barrel had more bluing on it, it probably would have taken twice as many more.

I used this stuff to inhibit the rust: http://www.laurelmountainforge.com/barrel_brown_inst.htm

For those unfamilar, the process runs like this (with deblued metal - white vinegar removes bluing)

1. Degrease
2. Apply rust inhibiter
3. Hang out to rust in a moist environment ( I hang my parts over (and partially in) a pot filled with water. Some folks have enclosures that they keep humid.
4. After a good bit of rust is in place, boil rusted parts in distilled water for 5 min - rust turns black
5. Card (ie scrub off with a fine steel brush) the black "rust" to see the blued metal
6. Repeat steps 2-5 until bluing is dark enough

DSM restoration

How did the restoration process go? I have a buddy who swears by marvel mystery oil, resurrected a luger that had been in a house fire (water damage) by letting it set in Marvel Mystery oil for 1 year....swears it works....

How did the restoration process go? I have a buddy who swears by marvel mystery oil, resurrected a luger that had been in a house fire (water damage) by letting it set in Marvel Mystery oil for 1 year....swears it works....
Well the process is well documented in this thread if you go through all the posts. In short though:
  1. Dissembled completely
  2. Scrubbed all metal parts with Big Frontier 45 pad or brass brush
  3. Soaked metal parts in Kroil
  4. Scrubbed all metal parts again after taking out of Kroil bath
  5. Cleaned off all Kroil, reoiled all parts with gun oil
  6. Cleaned wood hardware with very dilluted organic dish soap and let dry
  7. Reassembled.

Military Rifle Journal
Back