Third Party Press

Interesting MG34 manufacturing footage.

A couple thoughts and some questions. First I love the narrators voice. Not sure why but I do and he does a lot of these. Next, this seems designed to pump up the German populace but I think more so to intimidate their foes and maybe poke a stick in the eye of the Versailles signatories. As the film builds it's cut/lighted so you see vast quantities being near final assembled at the same time. 100's maybe in the receiver shot.

Thoughts on a time frame? I'm thinking maybe late '37 at the earliest and probably 40? at the latest? Which factory? BSW? Certainly not sure but they were up and running early in the game.

wow!

GREAT footage! Sure would be a treat to see similar of the MKb42 and or MP44 series rifles being produced.
Pete

Always neat too see something start out from nothing but a bunch of steel and finished into a working machine. Love these videos. Watched a few WW1 weapon production videos last night as well.

for sure!

Would hope to one day see that, hopefully there's something floating around.

I've only ever seen 1 photo of a shop area where they were working with the Sturmgewehrs. Read somewhere that what may have been was lost in bombing raids. Could be guess.
Claus Espeholt might know.
Pete

film speed

A couple thoughts and some questions. First I love the narrators voice. Not sure why but I do and he does a lot of these. Next, this seems designed to pump up the German populace but I think more so to intimidate their foes and maybe poke a stick in the eye of the Versailles signatories. As the film builds it's cut/lighted so you see vast quantities being near final assembled at the same time. 100's maybe in the receiver shot.

Thoughts on a time frame? I'm thinking maybe late '37 at the earliest and probably 40? at the latest? Which factory? BSW? Certainly not sure but they were up and running early in the game.

Did you see how fast they were running and the feed rates? Don't think they had carbide tooling back then. Perhaps the film was running faster than as shot.
Could not tell if they were boring the barrels or cutting rifling but they sure were pushing through faster than I would have thought possible.
And the line of guys straightening the finished barrels Wow!.
Pete

Did you see how fast they were running and the feed rates?

I did notice that. The coils of metal coming off the cutter on the lathe was pretty impressive, especially for early war. Imagine that scene in '45?? How about the guy running the hammer forge without gloves?

Pete

I was hoping you saw that line of guys straightening the barrels you and I had that conversation on the phone once and when I saw it yesterday I almost sent you a PM

Did you see how fast they were running and the feed rates? Don't think they had carbide tooling back then. Perhaps the film was running faster than as shot.
Could not tell if they were boring the barrels or cutting rifling but they sure were pushing through faster than I would have thought possible.
And the line of guys straightening the finished barrels Wow!.
Pete

Krupp invented WIDIA (WIE DIAMANT = like diamond) cutting tools as early as 1926. The material was derived from sintered Tungsten-Carbide Cobalt granulate hot pressed into squares and discs.
I wonder if the lathe in the video was made by Gustloff Werke.

gallery_1962_97_69498.jpg

Really interesting video - a startling one fingered salute to the treaty - !!!!

I've only ever seen 1 photo of a shop area where they were working with the Sturmgewehrs. Read somewhere that what may have been was lost in bombing raids. Could be guess.
Claus Espeholt might know.
Pete

H4dqQ0Rl.jpg

There is that relatively famous pic of the GI in the Walther factory shop, looking at an MKB42 (w) -
The MP44 factory was not lost (I believe) - The Allies liberated it first, taking all the items out by train, the Soviets then arrived and took the engineers.

Last edited:
- a startling one fingered salute to the treaty - !!!!

Yes sir. I'd love to know exactly what the narrator says but my German isn't quite good enough to translate without listening to it a hundred times.

Maybe I'll give it a try?

I love that picture! The entire crate of G/K43 magazines at the bottom of that table underneath it and the entire rack of VG-1 rifles in the background.

Yes sir. I'd love to know exactly what the narrator says but my German isn't quite good enough to translate without listening to it a hundred times.

Maybe I'll give it a try?

00:01 – 00:03 Production of machine guns

00:03 - 00:09 Due to the high demands of the modern M.G., only high quality materials can be processed.

00:09 – 00:12 The raw material for the barrels is cut to size.

00:27 – 00:31 The barrels are forged in pairs under the cimpressed air hammer.

00:45 – 00:46 Separating of the blanks.

00:51 – 00:53 Here the workpiece get prepared for further processing.

01:07 – 01:10 The barrel is drilled on these machines.

01:23 – 01:30 Sanding machines - Despite the mass production, the prescribed dimensions must be kept to the nearest 1/100 mm.

01:35 – 01:36 The barrels get straightened.

01:46 – 01:48 The cooling jacket get drilled.

02:07 – 02:09 Work on M.G. receiver.

02:33 – 02:43 Assembly - The modern M.G. consists of over 300 individual parts. Its construction and production represent excellence of German weapons technology.

Regards,
Stephan

Danke Stephan. Ich habe besser als ich dachte, aber mein Deutsch ist nicht zu gute.

This part was in a broadcast on January 14, 1942. Maybe it was filmed around 1940 / 1941.

Was this a newsreel clip shown in movie houses?

Do you think Gustloff (then) is a good guess for the location? GunKraut spotted the Gustloff lathe shown above. My other thought was Maget since Goring had a majority from VIAG and the advertising couldn't hurt. I also saw still photos of him with employees previously.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back