Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M.42 Lw. single decal net helmet

Default M.42 Lw. single decal net helmet

Thanks to Farb for finding this. I ran across an original issue net back in 1993. I've been waiting for the right original helmet to turn up with the original issue hooks attached to put on the net. This is a harder to find ET.64 M.42, lot 2015, right before the code switch to ckl. Many thanks to Brian / M45 for his excellent work on lot numbers, which I consult often. If you don't have his work, you need it. Cheap, excellent info.
    http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....going-research

My other net helmet, Normandy documented Heer M.40:
    http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....-Normandy-ID-d
    Last edited by Hambone; 01-05-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Pretty sure I’d seen this one. Pretty neat, double that , as you had the right net!
    Looking for 10" cleaning rod, early style e/214 #91, nazi style e/26 #04

I like to help people spend their money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Nice helmet Hambone.

Indeed nice set up viewing period pictures of Luft ground troops especially Normandy and Italy show these in wear quite often some even look quite crude as if solider homemade done. timothy

Beavis the Cornholio mdarnell19's Avatar

Very nice helmet Ham. If this was on some dealer's websites, the helmet would be $1000. Once the net was added it would become a $2500 helmet.

Like looking helmet

Thank you guys.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnell19 View Post
    Very nice helmet Ham. If this was on some dealer's websites, the helmet would be $1000. Once the net was added it would become a $2500 helmet.
    I think it was on WAF of all places as I saw it as well... I have far too many to have chased it. I have a No decal M42 with the Net hooks also and was always tempted to add a net. Nets now guys are asking as much as a lid.

These late nets seem to have been stored "somewhere" another Bavarian barn maybe ? Who knows but they turn up now and again. They need a bit of help Im sure to lay correctly and look "right" most I have seen added don't. There is a guy who's handy at doing this maybe wetting it first then letting it dry in place ?

As far as value ??? Base helmet + net and hooks seems to be the going rate right now for an "added" net. Ken N. has sold a few over the last couple years and I was temped to buy one. Around 1500.00 he was selling them for. This one was listed for 800.00 ? I think ? there abouts it was temping.

M40/m42 luft's sell in the 500-700 range the wires add about 150.00-200.00 and the nets are 700.00 so there is your price.

Hope this answers your ??? matt.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser99 View Post
    I think it was on WAF of all places as I saw it as well... I have far too many to have chased it. I have a No decal M42 with the Net hooks also and was always tempted to add a net. Nets now guys are asking as much as a lid.

These late nets seem to have been stored "somewhere" another Bavarian barn maybe ? Who knows but they turn up now and again. They need a bit of help Im sure to lay correctly and look "right" most I have seen added don't. There is a guy who's handy at doing this maybe wetting it first then letting it dry in place ?

As far as value ??? Base helmet + net and hooks seems to be the going rate right now for an "added" net. Ken N. has sold a few over the last couple years and I was temped to buy one. Around 1500.00 he was selling them for. This one was listed for 800.00 ? I think ? there abouts it was temping.

M40/m42 luft's sell in the 500-700 range the wires add about 150.00-200.00 and the nets are 700.00 so there is your price.

Hope this answers your ??? matt.
    I don't know about "late net" as it isn't dated. Perhaps you get those you sell from a Bavarian barn but when I got it 25 years ago there was only one, in fact the only one I saw at the SOS as I was looking. It was in a ziplock bag in a case with a bunch of all kinds of stuff. It looked like it came off a helmet or had been shoved up in a liner. There are rust stains where wire was on it. I don't know if the seller was Philly Cat but everything else he had looked good and he was a one or two table US seller. At that time I was unaware of repros of any quality, though these are little more than knotted hemp. For $100 a pop (with say a 100 pc. min) Im sure you could find some enterprising Indians to knot some up for you. With respect to "help" I presume you mean holding a certain form or laying flat. It doesn't need that. It's old hemp. A nice M.40 or M.42 Luft will sell for more than you suggest. The "original" hook sets can be found for $100-150 and it would be very difficult to determine originality as to helmet and wire. In fact it would be difficult to differentiate original wire from the proper type bent and prepped like the original as wire hooks and rings humped and bent.

I personally do not heed much of the rah rah at a certain long of tooth forum on such matters as it is primarily the "wisdom" of those who think they know but don't / don't know what they don't know but speaking as if they do, or mutual back patting rah rah.
    Last edited by Hambone; 01-07-2018 at 03:34 PM.