Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K98k bring back

Default K98k bring back

This rifle is an unaltered specimen which was sent back from France by my father-in-law after he went in on Omaha beach on June 9th. It was taken from crate of new ones and has been neglected ever since. I know it is a Steyr made in 1944. Is there anything significant about the "dot" after the "bnz"? You folks seem to know everything about these and I look forward to any replies. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default bnz4

the bnz. is one of the variations of the bnz code. there are four different bnz code types that show up in 43/44. This is a straight up bnz heer issued rifle and has no ss connection. It looks like a very nice rifle from what I can see in the photos..

by the way welcome to the forum !!!

Default Vet bring-back 98k

That is a great example of an un-messed with 98k.
    It would be a desireable piece in anyones collection.
    Also, welcome to the Forum.
    Bob32268

Default bnz4

Thank you Bob and Mauser for the welcome and info. Sounds like the rifle is a standard K98k that is unusual only in that it has not been messed up. Since it has a family provenance, I am giving it some well deserved TLC from now on. Could you shed some light on the barrel marking that is a shield inclosing a "b z"? Here are a couple more pics. Also, I have a bayonet that was "liberated" in the same way. Is this the appropriate place to post pics of the bayonet?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default bnz

the shield says bnz/1 as it is a bnz finished barrel. there may be more info on the barrel as well..

mauser99: thanks for the info about the bnz/1 inside of the shield. I couln't make out the "n" even with a magnifying glass so I didn't know what it was.

I just want to say, this is a very nice bnz4 no letter block rifle- actually quite difficult to find! Nice photos as well, for sure a keeper.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

not only is that a great rifle but you know where it came from and it's still in the family. my father never brought anything back from the pacific campaign but my uncle did. he was in the pacific campaign (army) from 43 - 45 and ended up in occupied hiroshima (still alive so no radiation poisoning). he took a new crude last ditch wood butt plate arisaka from an arsenal and has it hanging up in his living room. also, your rifle was made in january 44 i believe. i must ask the experts how it came to be issued in the spring of 44?
    Last edited by ac4142; 09-06-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: issue question

Thanks for the replies. I incorrectly implied that the rifle was acquired in June 44....senior moment. Actually, it was acquired about a year later in 1945.

the less you do to it the better. Don't oil, wax, or sand the stock. Lightly oil the metal to keep rust from forming during storage and after handling. That sling is incredible. I'm sure we all would love to have such a family treasure. The only one I have is just a barrelled action.