Third Party Press

Out of the closet G41(W)

I have had this g41 for awhile, but I just figured out how to post pics so here she is .... G41W 5728 ac.
Real story. My neighbor's tells me his dad has a few old military guns at his house. I was mostly curious as I am into WW2 stuff.
I get an invite out and he tells me yes, he has a couple of Japanese rifles and an old "Garand". Check them out and the Garand is actually this G41 ( I didn't know what it was, but comparing the end of the barrel to pics, figured it out ).
He was Navy WW2 and brought these 3 rifles back ( he says ). How he ended up with a G41 ???
He offered to sell it to me ( son is non gunner, no interest ), so I go for it.
All matching parts on exterior, but I have not dis-assembled so internally, not sure. The stock is smooth and some kind of lacquer finish.
Interesting note: He told me that the Japanese rifleman were reduced to shooting hardwood bullets for lack of metals / materials, toward the end.

IMG_1658.JPGIMG_1659.JPGIMG_1660.JPGIMG_1661.JPGIMG_1662.JPG

That's a really early made Walther G41 trial rifle. This rifle was made right after they got rid of the push button types. Basically at the time when this rifle was issued for troop trials it was competing against the G41m for adoption. Have to say lucky you the son wasn't interested in it that's a hard to find gun.

I was going to mention that and picked up on it and was cropping and highlighting the photo with paint.
But,, Im not sure what he used to post the photos as they are so small they are useless...

But, Getting back to the 7.91 stamp. It looks period to me. Also this rifle is just under the JTD sold rifle.

This rifle was early enough produced is it possible it could have been re-barreled ? and re-stamped with a caliber stamp as was done
on k98k barrels when they were re-barreled ?

Just food for thought.

Attachments

• g41  jsjsjsjsjs.jpg
    g41 jsjsjsjsjs.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 64
  • ;ljhjhjhohojhoigg.jpg
    ;ljhjhjhohojhoigg.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 172
I'll see if I can take a better pic of the 7.91 stamping and post.

I was going to mention that and picked up on it and was cropping and highlighting the photo with paint.
But,, Im not sure what he used to post the photos as they are so small they are useless...

But, Getting back to the 7.91 stamp. It looks period to me. Also this rifle is just under the JTD sold rifle.

This rifle was early enough produced is it possible it could have been re-barreled ? and re-stamped with a caliber stamp as was done
on k98k barrels when they were re-barreled ?

Just food for thought.

I'll see if I can take a better pic of the 7.91 stamping and post.[/QUOTE

Please do. Its not the photo isn't clear enough. Whatever format you used I could save it and highlight then repost ? Its very small.

I wanted to put it side by side with the other. To me the 7,91 looks identical to what's used to mark barrels.

Typically post war marked guns are stamped 8mm.

un-till miller time gets some better larger photos posted we will all be in the dark on this one...I think its an interesting rifle !

THANKS YOU m.t. What I was trying to do was post this one and the JTD example side by side.

These two being nearly 300 rifles apart and are marked the same less the 7,91 caliber stamp.

One was ridden hard the other barley used. Funny the different roads two weapons can make.

Tearing a G41 down isn't super difficult but, until this is done the rest of the story cant be told. This is just speculation
that it could have been re-barreled.

Being able to do this flip flopping.. I now see the comment on the notched rail. Could this rifle been a test mule ?

Attachments

• g41  jsjsjsjsjs.jpg
    g41 jsjsjsjsjs.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 36

Military Rifle Journal
Back