Third Party Press

France - Israeli Mauser

-Quincy-

Hi,
French collector looking to get a Israeli Mauser pretty soon. These rifles are a rare occurrence over here in France (and in Europe from what I can gather). And I honestly can say I don't know enough about them to know what to look for/avoid. I came across this one. Aside from the pricing (which I know is high for Americans, but kinda okayish in France) what can you tell me about this one. I am all ears ;)

Thanks !

Last edited:
You don't say what you want it for but I'll guess 'shooter'? If that's the case I'd say this will most likely be a good one. Made in 1943 at the second rifle factory in Povazska Bystrica and their quality was still pretty high. The bore and crown look quite good for a military rifle of this age. The rest of it looks to be in decent shape as well but it is a well traveled piece and a mixmaster too. You know the price and what you're comfortable paying so I can't comment on that part. Good luck and welcome!

Thanks heavy_mech for your reply. Indeed I am looking for a 'shooter' even though what initially attracted me to this one was how "worn out" it was (not sure if that's the correct expression in english)... If it could speak, it would tell quite a story I am sure and I figured it would make a nice addition to the collection.

..what initially attracted me to this one was how "worn out" it was (not sure if that's the correct expression in english)... If it could speak, it would tell quite a story.

Maybe 'worn out' is a bit harsh, but I know what you mean. We might say 'honest wear' or 'combat carried' or something like that to describe it's obvious use over the years. It sure looks like this one has several chapters to it's story! Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm surprised some other folks haven't offered up any opinions? :)

Russian Capture bolt in an Israeli? Rebuilt recently.

Last edited:
This also caught my eye... The bolt has an electropened serial number, but so does the safety block

The whole bolt is Russian electro-pencilled - they did that to many (I have had a few, unfortunately).

That is NOT an Israeli refurb or reused bolt.

..That is NOT an Israeli refurb or reused bolt.

And... I guess that's ruined the Israeli collectability value? I saw this too, but I'm not sure what the hit is here unless I'm missing something? It IS a K98k bolt correct? I guess if it was a Carcano bolt it would be a big deal.

And... I guess that's ruined the Israeli collectability value? I saw this too, but I'm not sure what the hit is here unless I'm missing something? It IS a K98k bolt correct? I guess if it was a Carcano bolt it would be a big deal.

Israeli's renumbered and refinished their own bolts, so I guess it does have an impact on originality and collectibility, moreso pricing. It'd be like putting an RC bolt into a German Honour Guard or BGS rifle - right bolt, but not right. Or a post-war Brno bolt in a G date.

Yes, it'll work, it's technically correct but it also indicates it is rebuilt civilian wise. I know Israeli's in excellent plus "original" condition are available here, but obviously not there or elsewhere.

I wasn't trying to be an asshole although I'm apparently pretty good at it. I figured based on the photos he wanted it for a shooter and also that they're not very available where he is (Occitania). Actually I haven't seen a decent one here is quite a while either. Pricing is directly related to your location and availability as I'm sure you know.

The other part of that is I know people can and do collect anything, but that doesn't mean it's smart financially or logistically. Lot's of 'rare' and collectible junk is now virtually worthless. For what he wants, the bore, muzzle and crown are key and they look pretty good to my eye.

Thanks for the posts guys, a gunsmith I know told me he could get his hands on israeli mausers at the end of the month. I decided to wait to check them out.

Regarding the russian electropenciled markings, oddly enough some collectors here would pay a premium in order to get a mauser with those markings.

Military Rifle Journal
Back