Third Party Press

bnz42 I just picked up

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Just got this one, nice bnz42 C block. I realized late last year that I almost had every bnz code from 1940 - 45 except for 42. Granted a few are reworks, but still, so I wanted a bnz42 and found what I think is a great rifle. Anyway, this has some neat details in the stock that I wanted to point out. The stock is Steyr made, wrist is marked e/623 which is typical. However, this one is not too worn and the e/WaA623 proof is still visible at the bottom near the rear sling band (we show this on a bnz43 stock in the book). The handguard is e/359 proofed as well, another inspection that wears off pretty quickly. Steyr used a lot of e/359 inspected stocks in this period, so not a big surprise, just neat that the inspection made it this long. Rest of the rifle is typical bnz42, Steyr made receiver and bolt which is nice. Took these pics with my old D40 Nikon I bought to use for the Kriegsmodell book 9 years ago, still seems to work well. Slower than the newer cameras but I love the pics from it.

Attachments

• rside.jpg
    rside.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 319
  • bnz42.jpg
    bnz42.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 298
  • bands.jpg
    bands.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 249
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 257
  • proof.jpg
    proof.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 241
  • serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 236
  • tguard.jpg
    tguard.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 222
  • wrist.jpg
    wrist.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 220
  • lside.jpg
    lside.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 359.jpg
    359.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 230
Very cool, how I like to find them. Unmessed with, showing honest field use but being in collector shape. :happy0180: Pic sticky.

Yeah, just enough wear that it isn't mint, no so much that it's ugly. I bet this one had a sling for a long time - the pics show some light colored wood on the left side area which doesn't really show up in hand - probably from sling wear. I'm going to add a sling (I added the rod but it came with a hood).

That is a beauty Mike! I didn't even know there was supposed to be an acceptance on the stock by the lower band. (haven't read that far into the books yet). Very nice!

Beautiful, honest combat carried, but not abused example. I knew you were looking and am glad you finally found it.

super nice. there have been 4 recent bnz42 finds on the forum lately. my favorite code. i thought they were scarce. my son just got an L block and it's a good 75% condition. still like it very much though but not as much as yours. :happy0180:

Military Rifle Journal
Back