Third Party Press

Most expensive RC I've ever bought - ce41 VN capture

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Another rifle I bought last year, a Russian capture CE41. Came with some papers, not a Mitchells Mauser certificate but.....better? For a VN capture it's in great shape, just the slightest jungle patina present. I really dig this rifle, and I needed the split C E code for my collection anyway. :thumbsup:

I've added a few pics of K98k rifles captured in VN for kicks.

Attachments

• papers.jpg
    papers.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 370
  • serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 325
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 305
  • sn.jpg
    sn.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 291
  • stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 291
  • topcode.jpg
    topcode.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 347
  • pix829481349.jpg
    pix829481349.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 353
  • 29909214744_dc436fc6c4_b.jpg
    29909214744_dc436fc6c4_b.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 326
Nice example! Bereshith came through on this one. The best part is that you got all that and still paid what many would consider to be the going rate for an RC. You got the papers and it does not look like it was rebuilt four plus times like many that one sees.

Last edited:
Great condition for RC and with the papers makes it palatable. Haha. It’s one of those things that I would not have expected prior to delving feeling into collecting. A ww2 german rifle captured from the VC and brought home. This would make no sense to a non gun collector.

You needed the split C E code for your collection and in addition now you have a example with Gustloff barrel. :thumbsup:

Very nice that the document was still with it. Only adds interest and value maybe too? I was wondering where the last photo was taken? I also noticed several missing bolts in the capture pile.

Nice, but I am going to mention the form that came with it- Palacios was one of the NCOs at the Captured Materiel Exploitation Center, where captured materiel was given a once-over to see if it had intelligence value. I was assigned years later to the same unit at Aberdeen Proving Ground (203rd MI Battalion, now an AC/RC structure). Didn't meet Palacios but met many others of the Vietnam era vets that came back to retire and settled back at the Ordnance Center there. Lots of war stories but in particular, many verified 'we found a' stories, too. Even a PT76 that had to be torched apart to be extracted.

That’s an awesome addition to the story matthanne!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Auction pics did not do this rifle justice , You weren't kidding about the condition . Very Nice VN Capture Trophy !!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Also is a plausible explanation to the several rifles I looked at in shops/shows over the years that seemed to be RC rifles but held no import marks. Only a few come to mind but all were completely in disastrous condition.

That's cool, not Mitchells cool, but cool...

That last pic, the thre B-40's on the wall, I have an RPG2 and rocket I could sell you to go along with it...you can start up a whole VC/NVA captured equipment collection...:thumbsup:

The GI's called the RPG-2 the B-40 rocket....

ETA My bad, there are 4 B-40's...

Very nice.
I'm more curious about the bent bolt Mosin Nagant in the black and white photo. Likely a sniper sans scope, but almost useless sans front globe sight, especially without a scope! Quite curious if it had a scope/mount and that was taken by someone prior to being placed in the pile. Reminds me of a MASH episode where Radar is all impressed with someone's 'trophy mosin' when really in the episode it was a North Korean who had snuck into the camp for food.

I obtained a Russian capture Kar98k and a 91/30 sniper rifle minus the scope on I believe my third tour in Vietnam.Both rifles were in very nice condition.I didn't keep either one or take pictures.At the time they were just captured rifles.I traded them for two cases of T Bone steak to a civilian who supplied the club system.

My fathers sniper mosin came back sans scope. It was presented to him literally on the tarmac leaving to Saigon by the deputy of the ARVN officer he worked with, and has a brass plaque that the ARVN officers had put on the black varnished stock.

The bore is a black hole- am sure it is not a safe shootable prospect but a valuable heirloom nonetheless! Years later I found the right scope when I was in Berlin.

Very interesting thread, thanks for those who served and VN is always of more interest since I went in in 72, exactly one year following the guys end of tour of duty, which was correctly exactly one year.

Looks like that pile of weapons was buried, many were on the trail. I see the scopeless PU. Would choose the BAR if I had a choice.

I find it odd, probably a mistake, that a MSGT was listed as an E-7 and should have been an E-8 then or an E-7/SFC on the capture papers. Probably a type writer problem, for those who can remember using them.

Nice CE, especially for a RC and VN gun. Thanks for posting.

Not all RCs are created equal.

Last edited:
The rank was not necessarily a typo.MSGT E-7's and SFC E-6's did exist in the Army at one time.One of my Platoon Sgt's in Vietnam was an SFC E-6 who was recalled from retirement.

Military Rifle Journal
Back