Third Party Press

Lacquer on ar 41

the Dane

I acquired this ar 41 some while ago, but bubba have been around here in Denmark as well :-(
I like to hear you gents opinion about the lacquer on the rifle, what is the best way to remove it?
I am full aware of, that it will not be like it was before, but simple, I don't like it the way it is.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20180114_215235.jpg
    IMG_20180114_215235.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20180114_215328.jpg
    IMG_20180114_215328.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20180114_215518.jpg
    IMG_20180114_215518.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 82
i don't think that's the original stock. if it's not, i would apply stripper for about 30 to 60 seconds and then wipe it off to get rid of the shine. that should do it. if it is the original stock i'd be afraid to mess with it.

De-natured alcohol on paper towels, you just dip the towels in alcohol and rub rub rub then use a toothbrush dipped in same to get into corners and hard to reach areas.
When the paper towel comes away clean that area is done.
Follow with plant based oil such as hemp seed oil or any food safe oil as used on cutting boards.

Denatured alcohol will remove it if it's shellac, maybe some oils but lacquer or varnish will require something stronger. Stripper would do it but my theory on an old stock is to use the least caustic product that works so if denatured alcohol doesn't touch it try some lacquer thinner. Whatever you use wipe the stock down liberally with paint thinner or mineral spirits to remove any left over residue when you think you've removed all of the finish.

Thanks alot :)

I will dismantle the rifle, then I will see if it,s the original stock.
I will first try on the metal parts first, to see if alcohol or thinner will dissolve what ever it is they have used.

It looks like the entire gun was at one time completely varnished metal and all. If that is the case, it is likely it was a preservation intent, no prep involved, such as sanding.

It really looks like a good percentage of it has already been removed from the stock. In that case, duct tape the stock. You may be surprised at how easily it removes. Limit chemicals.

After stripping a heavily varnished Romanian AK stock set, I can assure you that Citri Strip really works wonders.

As stated above, denatured Alcohol is awesome on shellac, but not on varnish.

Military Rifle Journal
Back