Third Party Press

I inherited a bnz 45 and 22 training rifle.

I would not let any “ professionals “ get their hands on it. Lightly oil the metal and leave the wood alone. Jmho

Absolutely not! Even if you 'know' them and trust them I still wouldn't. Again just too much to possibly lose. Lightly clean (soft brush, clean cotton cloth) and nothing on the wood other than maybe a light brushing with a very soft bristle (like a clean shoe brush) brush.

I may not know a lot about this stuff but I’m not an idiot.

:laugh: I'm glad you have a sense of humor! Everyone just wants to save you (and the rifle) from yourself. I'm sure some of the older collectors have seen many ruined beyond repair over the years.

do not send it out to others, don't shoot it, don't over clean it to make it pretty, don't refinish anything

enjoy

ac4142

if you know better then STOP shooting your collectibles, go out and buy some beat up deer rifle or RC K-98

I like to put a generous coat of Kroil oil on all the metal but one must be careful not to get it on the wood. You can use wax paper or whatever to keep it off the wood. Let it sit a few days. Scrub and wipe it off with a Kroil oil wet cotton cloth. Reapply as needed. Apply RIG after cleaning.

The conservative alterative is to just apply Rust Inhibiting Grease/RIG to all metal and try to keep it off the wood, although it is fairly harmless to wood since it is wax based. That will widely slow the rust.

I would not shoot the bnz. Buy an RC for shooting.

You can do nothing as many may suggest. If you do that where I live you will have massive rust and mold on the wood in a year or so unless you have a temp and humidity controlled environment, which is the most important thing going forward IMO, to both wood and metal.

All that said, listen to the experts here. Many collectors like them just as you have them. Then, just store them in a temp and humidity controlled environment.

do not send it out to others, don't shoot it, don't over clean it to make it pretty, don't refinish anything

enjoy

ac4142

if you know better then STOP shooting your collectibles, go out and buy some beat up deer rifle or RC K-98

i have plenty of those to shoot too. but i'll try to do as you say.

I like to put a generous coat of Kroil oil on all the metal but one must be careful not to get it on the wood. You can use wax paper or whatever to keep it off the wood. Let it sit a few days. Scrub and wipe it off with a Kroil oil wet cotton cloth. Reapply as needed. Apply RIG after cleaning.

The conservative alterative is to just apply Rust Inhibiting Grease/RIG to all metal and try to keep it off the wood, although it is fairly harmless to wood since it is wax based. That will widely slow the rust.

I would not shoot the bnz. Buy an RC for shooting.

You can do nothing as many may suggest. If you do that where I live you will have massive rust and mold on the wood in a year or so unless you have a temp and humidity controlled environment, which is the most important thing going forward IMO, to both wood and metal.

All that said, listen to the experts here. Many collectors like them just as you have them. Then, just store them in a temp and humidity controlled environment.

It was not kept in ideal conditions before I got it but I believe I’m keeping it in a pretty safe place now. As for oiling it, I’m a bit worried about causing more damage then good but I’ll see what I can do. Thanks for the tips.

It was not kept in ideal conditions before I got it but I believe I’m keeping it in a pretty safe place now. As for oiling it, I’m a bit worried about causing more damage then good but I’ll see what I can do. Thanks for the tips.

You are welcome and the more opinions the better. Personally, I can not ignore rust but the pickers can and so can many K98k collectors. The experts here are better informed on care than myself. I am familiar with care of dozens of other milsurps but not an expert on these. Each category of milsurps has different standards of acceptance. I have studied it and the differences are amazing to me.

I think in this instance it is important to qualify what a "professional" might mean. I do not think there would be ANY issue sending it out to a professional. My concern is WHO or WHAT you are considering professionals. Your local gunsmith is not what I would consider a professional in this regard. A person with curatorial experience and technical background in preservation and firearms should handle that rifle without issue.

Military Rifle Journal
Back