Third Party Press

Renumbered 945, 1940 g. 33/40 9188d on gunbroker

I was fumbling through some auctions this weekend and found this renumber:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/735102582

Same rifle was auctioned in June of 2008 with a 98k bolt. Over the past 10 years it has grown a matching g. 33/40 bolt. See 2008 photos attached.

MODEDIT: To include serial in title for future reference

Attachments

• pix102649438.jpg
    pix102649438.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 100
  • pix102650204.jpg
    pix102650204.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 98
  • pix102652969.jpg
    pix102652969.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:
It appears to be a K.98 bolt in a 33/40 and the different numbers are obvious to anyone looking at the images provided. I have traded with that seller for at least ten years and have never had a less than satisfactory experience, as have thousands of others and would love to get the prices he does for comparable items. Offhand, I don't know of anyone at his level of success in the collector firearms trade who doesn't attract his share of whiners, regardless of that dealer's reviews.

With just a link, that auction goes away. Evidence needs to be preserved in case this turd tries to wash up on the beach again. If a real "winner", he got took; obviously humped bolt. Well done 3371940.

Attachments

• G.33.40 auction.JPG
    G.33.40 auction.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 66
  • pix062957503.jpg
    pix062957503.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 54
  • pix046467161.jpg
    pix046467161.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 48
  • pix154226426.jpg
    pix154226426.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 70
  • G.33.40 auction bids.JPG
    G.33.40 auction bids.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 53
..Over the past 10 years it has grown a matching g. 33/40 bolt. See 2008 photos attached.

Great catch indeed! I'm fairly comfortable that they didn't do this, but I wonder who he bought it from? The guy that had it since 2008 is where the magic happened IMHO.

Stupid question. How are you seeing the bidder names. I just get the first letter, then a bunch of stars, then the last number. This is very unsurprising for this seller

Stupid question. How are you seeing the bidder names. I just get the first letter, then a bunch of stars, then the last number. This is very unsurprising for this seller

When you hit a certain number of feedback you get to see them all. Its about a dozen.

... IMO, the current seller hasn't been holding this one for 10 yrs before selling. I imagine Larry E happened to buy and flip recently, and the magic happened in the past (as was already mentioned).

Let's await the positive feedback and see if this turd washed back up at auction again or is relegated to the poorly lit endcap table of the bi-monthly funshow. Hopefully the guy selling the eyeglasses cleaner will be doing free demos before anyone gets to that table. What is a bolt humped and pimped 33/40 worth these days?

... IMO, the current seller hasn't been holding this one for 10 yrs before selling. I imagine Larry E happened to buy and flip recently, and the magic happened in the past (as was already mentioned).

I think the question is when did the bolt get humped and who humped it or had it humped. What if it had the mm K98k bolt in it right up until before it was sold at this auction? All we know for sure is that this piece was humped, but we don't know by whom or when. It's not a good thing if one is the seller of humped things.

Last edited:
I wasn't going to post but I cannot help myself.

The seller has been documented to do a few unscrouplous things. There are several documented cases. Do we know all the facts, no. But they sure seem "fishy".

I like Larry, I have bought several things from him. The rifles I primarily collect most of you have never heard of, nor seen them, before. They are "rare" but not very expensive. Picked up a BEAUTIFUL one from Larry last year. Talked to him 10 or 15 min on the phone about it. He was honest and upfront about every aspect of the rifle.

However, this leads me to my point. Larry is a VERY knowledgeable collector. He was supposedly a contemporary of John Wall's as I was told by a LARGE US Mauser collector. He knows better. I cannot in good conscious sell many of the items that he conveniently forgets to mention the questionable nature of.

As I put it to one of my friends, I could not sell a similar rifle for half the price, AFTER I got publicly tarred and feathered for selling a fake rifle.

Larry has sold some rare and very collectable pieces but there has been a mix of stinkers in there. Personally I believe he buys so much stuff he never really goes through it all. Not too mention he has people that find and buy stuff for his business as well. But at least he does offer inspection periods with his pieces so there's some protection for the buyer. But remember if you buy from him look the piece over before bidding.

I've had a couple good dealings with him. He's had some humped rifles in the mix, including several, from SVT.40 to Arisaka to Mauser that all had bolts renumbered with the same dies. He moves much stuff and with that much stuff there are going to be humpers in there. Back in the day if you knew what was going on you accepted this as a given and had to watch yourself. Now, in the info age, that 33/40, and other humpjobs, are "marked for life".

Just like a humper die stamp library, what about a "Turd Library" where revealed humpjobs can be memorialized? We called that the Turd Alert section back in the day.

Military Rifle Journal
Back