Third Party Press

Odd-size laminate

yellowkid

I haven't posted much in a while partly cause I haven't made many purchases as of late! But with a bit more time on my hands I did have this one out of deep storage and don't think I've shared in the past so I thought why not. it's got the odd-size laminated stock and it's in the S block as most of these are I think. 8940S to be exact. Looks like they had a bad solder day with this one! it's also a bolt-mismatch, the bolt is 7914S. I mostly try to avoid that but didn't mind it so much here. I like these pinstripe stocks and also got 8148S which has the wood too and is built on a leftover BNZ 44 receiver, and 7794 with a pinstripe HG. I'll get them out too but this one has the best wood. john

Attachments

• unnamed-7.jpg
    unnamed-7.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 111
  • unnamed-8.jpg
    unnamed-8.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 83
  • unnamed-12.jpg
    unnamed-12.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 84
  • unnamed-9.jpg
    unnamed-9.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 70
  • unnamed-10.jpg
    unnamed-10.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 60
  • unnamed-11.jpg
    unnamed-11.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 59
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 77
  • unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 74
  • unnamed-5.jpg
    unnamed-5.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 89
  • unnamed-6.jpg
    unnamed-6.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 76
few more....

few more of the wood. apologies not the best shots with iphone, but if I wait I never take 'em!

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 59
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 58
  • unnamed-13.jpg
    unnamed-13.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 54
Whoa that rifle is fantastic!! The pinstripe stock and sloppy solder job are great, as is the jumbled serial and letter block. I can’t wait to see your other mentioned rifles, thank you for sharing this one. Also, your pictures are just fine I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that gun is just gorgeous (and another reason why I apologize for my photography). I've never turned a screw on this one and would rather not honestly but I can offer under-the-butt shots of a Brunn II pinstripe and another Gustloff if that helps. the gustloff is hard to see but marked "2 50 45 NA" and the Brunn has nothing on the butt and just the "phh" in the channel. Mike and Bruce could answer the question of blank suppliers better than me I think. To my eye the three represented here all appear identical up close.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 40
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 40
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 46
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 53
that gun is just gorgeous (and another reason why I apologize for my photography). I've never turned a screw on this one and would rather not honestly but I can offer under-the-butt shots of a Brunn II pinstripe and another Gustloff if that helps. the gustloff is hard to see but marked "2 50 45 NA" and the Brunn has nothing on the butt and just the "phh" in the channel. Mike and Bruce could answer the question of blank suppliers better than me I think. To my eye the three represented here all appear identical up close.

I think your Gustloff stock completion date code is rather "NA 2 50 43" with the date December 14, 1943. Your code would mean December 11, 1945. Which letter block is your Gustloff and it's a bcd 4?

I think your Gustloff stock completion date code is rather "NA 2 50 43" with the date December 14, 1943. Your code would mean December 11, 1945. Which letter block is your Gustloff and it's a bcd 4?

I thought the odd size laminate was a very late 44 or early 45 thing only? A lot of bcd 4 receivers were used in 45 production correct?

I’ve seen many late bcd skm stocks dated this way. My assumption is the 43 is an error, these stocks are not from 43 production.

I’ve seen many late bcd skm stocks dated this way. My assumption is the 43 is an error, these stocks are not from 43 production.

I agree with you and "44" could suit in the known time frame.

@Stan
You are right and this topic is very well covered in Volume III at page 165/166.

Agree! I think what's most interesting about these is, we've gone from thinking about these as "experimental Steyr stocks" to understanding that Steyr, Gustloff, Brunn II and even MO (with their own blank variation I believe) had these. Only Brunn I didn't, or perhaps they remain to be found as well. The books have brought us a long way.....

Military Rifle Journal
Back