Third Party Press

Markings on MP 35/ I

Xavier

Markings on MP 35

Hello
Please find pictures of a full matching ss mp35/1.
Notice the sszzA1 marking.
What is the meaning of the R plus double oblique feature just above it ?
Best regards

Attachments

• 20180118_164007.jpg
    20180118_164007.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 20180118_163947.jpg
    20180118_163947.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 20180118_161027.jpg
    20180118_161027.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
That is the maker mark for Junker & Ruh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
What is the year of production ?
Best regards

I don't have any reference material but based on it being a Junker & Ruh and 193 a block I'd guess early 1941? Don't know how quickly they ramped up production or their early production rate however.

Early 41 ? Not earlier ?

QUOTE=heavy_mech;299894]I don't have any reference material but based on it being a Junker & Ruh and 193 a block I'd guess early 1941? Don't know how quickly they ramped up production or their early production rate however.[/QUOTE]

Not sure exactly when they started? Seen reference to the 'beginning of the war through '44'. I found a c block marked alf (rather than the stylized R) 43. Assuming they started up in late 39 ish?

Junker and Ruh

Hello
does anyone know when Junker and Ruh with maker mark JR swap for ajf marking ? which year ?
best regards

Hello
does anyone know when Junker and Ruh with maker mark JR swap for ajf marking ? which year ?
best regards

Well, I have never seen ajf40 so I assume it's in 1941.

Attachments

• 51482_d.jpg
    51482_d.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 23
  • bergmann-markings-3178-full.jpg
    bergmann-markings-3178-full.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 03156_c.jpg
    03156_c.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 16
Well, I have never seen ajf40 so I assume it's in 1941.

Thanks Mike! It appears from the examples you posted here the ramp up in production was even slower than I suspected. They must have really kicked it in gear later 42 and certainly in 43.

Why not 1940 ? or earlier (37-38) ? I mean, do you know which year MP35/1 with JR marker mark were produced ?
best regards

Your question was “when did JR switch to ajf. I didn’t say production started then, I answered your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the 35/I. Great example shown here. Thanks! Looks great. Nothin like the craftsmanship in some of these early design smg’s.
Work or art.
I have been lucky enough to have been around MG’s for a long time, since I was a kid from my Pop.
I have seen and fired both a Danish German capture mp34 and a simplified contracted MP35/I “even though the 35/I was a simplified 34 it’s still complicated compared to a Thompson or an Uzi in functional operation. Hard wood stock early and a Beautiful Laminate later.
From memory..... hope I get this close to right....
I think Bergmann sold the mfg rights to Shulz - Larsen in Denmark and they produced the MP for their army in 9×23 Bergmann, and I think later in 9x19..(not 100% sure on that caliber mfg.) The MP34 was contracted to Walther and In 1935 Came the MP.35/I. And I think Walther was still Makin them till 40 or so but not 100% on that one either. Sorry.
When WWII weapon production demands got high that’s when I thought Junker & Ruh as Mike said in a previous post took the contract and because of my understanding ,(not claiming to be a an expert here on SS stuff), But the non standard way the SS had to procure weapons, I believe almost all the MP35/I production contract was for the SS, regardless if it’s marked that way or not.

Hope some of this helps here or is found interesting but that said, PLEASE
*any corrections to this info that I have shared make it!
It would be greatly appreciated so increased knowledge can be had by all.

Steveo

Last edited:
That sounds about right Steveo. I really like the long barreled early variant which I think was only produced as the MP32 by the Danes. What I find really interesting is how similar the Beretta 38a bolt mechanism is to the MP35I. I've got parts kits for a few different model years, 44 being the latest. Can't remember off top of my head what the others are but they are earlier.

The MP34 was contracted to Walther and In 1935 Came the MP.35/I. And I think Walther was still Makin them till 40

As I understand it they developed the model MP35/I and made ~5000 up until 1940.

When WWII weapon production demands got high that’s when I thought Junker & Ruh

This is what I understood also. I do not know when the contract was let or when they began production but known examples show their start up was quite slow. They were able to outstrip Walther's production rate regardless before really increasing output later. The total production figures for J&R of ~40,000 is supported by examples in the later c block.

..almost all the MP35/I production contract was for the SS

I agree they received all the production and were the exclusive user.

I've got parts kits for a few different model years, 44 being the latest. Can't remember off top of my head what the others are but they are earlier.

I also bought several of the higher end kits when they were 'cheap' although probably not as early as you did. I always loved the build and finish quality and kind of knew these wouldn't be around or 'cheap' for long.

If you ever happen to be around them maybe you'd consider taking some photos of the markings? You just don't see these too often. The only ones I've recently handled were the similar Steyr MP34s.

I will once it is safe to go to my pop's place. I looked for years for a complete kit that I could afford. Then once i found that 2 more dropped in my lap within a year or so. Go figure. These were also sold/issued to some foreign countries during the war as well, I have some pics I snagged somewhere in one of my storage devices. I will see if I can find them and post them.

I also bought several of the higher end kits when they were 'cheap' although probably not as early as you did. I always loved the build and finish quality and kind of knew these wouldn't be around or 'cheap' for long.

If you ever happen to be around them maybe you'd consider taking some photos of the markings? You just don't see these too often. The only ones I've recently handled were the similar Steyr MP34s.

Military Rifle Journal
Back