Third Party Press

K98k front sight bases

Zielsechs

Howdy gents, new member to the forum, but I've lurked around here as a non-member for quite awhile. Recently I've gotten into resurrecting old sporterized K98s that still have life in them and aren't too far gone, this has now also moved on into rebuilding K98s from parts sets and stripped receivers but I digress. The reason for this thread is that I've been curious if anyone has ever prepared a definitive guide to the front sight bases of the K98. With one of my recent endeavors being a '44 BYF that needs new sight bases and stock and bands I went and hunted down a lot of front sight bases I scored for a reasonable price on ebay. Within this mixed bag I ended up with front sight bases that all have the ribbing on the rib leading to the front post dovetail but one is smooth on the sides, one has just the slots for the sight hood, and one has the slots for the sight hold and the lateral pin hole. What years would or periods would each of these pertain to, and did any particular manufacturer make the difference in production of these parts?

The slots for the sight hood starts in 1940 for makers like MO and Erma. From then they all use slots for sight hoods.

Military Rifle Journal
Back