Third Party Press

1940 WKC scabbard without serial number.

balkslak

Why does this scabbard lack a serial number on its scabbard? Is it replacement scabbard. It does have a Waffe Amt on the tip on the scabbard.IMG_2672.JPGIMG_2673.JPGIMG_2674.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Factory error. Not a replacement scabbard. It just missed the serial numbering step for whatever reasons. Several of these have been observed by WKC in 1940 as well as other makers and years. There are also scabbards that have the serial number but no maker/date.

Interesting. I have one of these, too. I wonder what then, differentiates a "factory error" unnumbered scabbard from a "unnumbered armorer replacement scabbard" ? The only thing which might do so is if the replacement scabbard was numbered to match the bayonet. No doubt this was certainly the desired result by German directives outlining how the S84/98 was to be refurbished. However, based on the conditions and expediency (like field armorer as opposed to rear echelon repair facility performing the work), the procedure was probably not always adhered to. Of course it is definitely possible the scabbard missed being stamped to match the bayonet, or the matching scabbard either failed a final inspection or was damaged to the degree in-house, it was replaced with a unnumbered example & shipped out. There may be no way to know exactly what occurred.

Here is another poser. I have a 97% original rust-blue S174 | 36. The wood grips & flashguard match each other. The catch assembly matches the blade's internal tang assembly number. However, the bayonet has no external serial number. Scabbard is EuF Horster | 1939 WaA/unnumbered. IMHO this was a field rebuild from armorer spares and salvaged parts, using an entirely new armorer blade with catch assembly as the base, yet no external numbers are present.

Possible it could be origin or replacement,when something happened with the matching scabbard already in work. i assume both are WaA253 proofed? b.r.Andy

Military Rifle Journal
Back