Third Party Press

1942 Mauser Werke AG Oberndorf Model 98

5bassman

New member here. I normally collect vintage S&W revolvers and WWII era weapons. But I’m not too familiar with the K98. This one popped up locally on consignment. Some one sent me the pictures so I haven’t seen it in person. He photographed all the numbers that he knew of, but maybe there’s more. All numbers match that he found, he said bore was dirty but had strong rifling. Is this one possibly all original? Price is $1350. Worth it? Thanks for your time.

Looks good from what you've shown. Would need to see the rest of the numbered parts, internal hand guard #s etc. Is the band spring numbered? Price isn't bad for a matching 42.

Looks very good so far. If all numbers check out and bore decent I would grab it for $1350 in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the replies. This is all he saw of any numbers because he didn’t break it down any further. What are all the parts that should be numbered? Is there a list somewhere? Because if all looks good so far I’ll take the 1.5 hour drive and check it out further. I’m just not sure what else should be numbered. If it’s just a spring or 1 or 2 Parts not matching, other than what’s shown, is it still worth $1350? Would you walk away if it was just one incorrect part? It’s on consignment at a gun shop and I’m not sure how far I can take it down.

The rear band, band spring, the hand guard and internal stock channel, magazine follower, firing pin and the cocking piece on the bolt. Any mismatched pieces should be reflected in the price and can be used as a bargaining chip.

The stock should have a few cartouches accompanying the serial number at the wrist and a e/135 on the right side. Their are a few byf42s in the picture reference subforum. That'll give you an idea of what to look for.

The rear band, band spring, the hand guard and internal stock channel, magazine follower, firing pin and the cocking piece on the bolt. Any mismatched pieces should be reflected in the price and can be used as a bargaining chip.

The stock should have a few cartouches accompanying the serial number at the wrist and a e/135 on the right side. Their are a few byf42s in the picture reference subforum. That'll give you an idea of what to look for.

Thanks for the help. If I get it I’ll update with new pics.

Well I went and got it, out the door for $1300. Everywhere it’s supposed to have a number matches. The collector that had it on consignment bought it in the early 1980’s from a gentleman in his 80’s that was a Captain during WWII. He picked it up in Italy and brought it back in his regular luggage. He said he picked it from a whole crate of K98’s in cosmoline. But buy the gun and not the story, so I bought the gun.
Is this a date on the butt of stock? 3/16/42

Picked up a couple of other nice items from him too. An M40 Heer German helmet (with incorrect chin strap) and a Double Date Horster 43/44 bayonet in very high condition.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back