Third Party Press

Lucky Ebay find.

pitfighter

Found this sniffing around on flea-bay late at night, lol.

titled "FG42 part" - turns out it is an almost NOS FG42 muzzle-brake.
BIN was less than I care to share - sounds like I am inventing to feel good.

My former muzzle brake although original to the firearm was in quite bad shape when I received it, and the park was almost completely gone, so this was indeed a lucky find - the parts kit this SA rifle was built from was covered in red rust, and the muzzle brake had the worst of it - I think it had been leaning brake down in a damp basement.

Original brake on the rifle.
GeiqH6El.jpg

New found muzzle brake on rifle.
6Hp6yaAl.jpg

New brake above old one - I could not find the eagle on the original brake that came with the rifle.
zcaxkBLl.jpg

You can see the Estes bayonet here - anyone have an original bayonet drop me a line.
iLgRO4Jl.jpg

Rifle with some old blades and a rough old helmet.
861Lm2yl.jpg

Phew... Happy that was you that scored it! I was in the middle of something when I saw it and Psssssst it was gone! Ha Ha

Jesse

great score. Per your e-mail I finally get a picture

I tell new guys all the time, if you stay one top of what you are looking for it will eventually appear

Phew... Happy that was you that scored it! I was in the middle of something when I saw it and Psssssst it was gone! Ha Ha

Yes - there were somewhere in the region of 50 watchers on the auction, I thought for sure someone else would bid.

I actually had a muzzle brake for this rifle a few years back, and posted it on this site, I found it in Holland - but at that time collecting the rest of the rifle seemed out of bounds of reality, so I (foolishly) sold the part to a collector in Italy -

Strange that there seem to be more original muzzle brakes than magazines or bayonets, lol.

Yes - there were somewhere in the region of 50 watchers on the auction, I thought for sure someone else would bid.

I actually had a muzzle brake for this rifle a few years back, and posted it on this site, I found it in Holland - but at that time collecting the rest of the rifle seemed out of bounds of reality, so I (foolishly) sold the part to a collector in Italy -

Strange that there seem to be more original muzzle brakes than magazines or bayonets, lol.

there is a answer

That's because there is a factory in bavaria, they were tearing down a wall or rummaging in the attic and found a box of these
( see the sodcast):laugh::laugh::laugh:

So true Jack. I was looking for MP35 parts kits for years, finally found one and in the year since then 3 more pop up.

Jesse

great score. Per your e-mail I finally get a picture

I tell new guys all the time, if you stay one top of what you are looking for it will eventually appear

there is a answer

That's because there is a factory in bavaria, they were tearing down a wall or rummaging in the attic and found a box of these
( see the sodcast):laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes - perhaps - like the glass Christmas tree decorations.

Please do not consider me a spoiler, but I consider it a sin to change a part of the gun, which originally belongs to it against an obviously unused waffenmeister spare part. Every third person worth his salt would see the difference and regard the thing as put together.

Please do not consider me a spoiler, but I consider it a sin to change a part of the gun, which originally belongs to it against an obviously unused waffenmeister spare part. Every third person worth his salt would see the difference and regard the thing as put together.

Nigromantus,

We have been chatting on forums and by email together for quite a few years - I do not consider you a spoiler and respect your opinion and learned views on this strange hobby.

This Fg42 would be a incomplete bucket of rusted parts (rusted as in not in a good way, I think I sent you the pictures, three or four years ago.) -
ALL internal parts were missing - the receiver was blow torch + saw cut through and through in three places - was it a sin to restore it to firing-order? Perhaps.
Is it all original to the rifle, sadly, no - it is the result of a few years careful scavenging Europe and the US for parts.
So, it is not by any stretch of the imagination a matching numbers safe-queen, but a (IMO) very-well put together semi-automatic rebuild.

I have the original muzzle-brake that came with the parts and it's not going anywhere, however, the rust on the old one was not from "war-use", but, rather poor storage in the US.

But, yes, I get your point, and am rather torn now as to which brake to keep on the rifle - damn you man!

If you look closely at this photo you can see the discoloration of the receiver where it was re-welded and the SSD bolt, which is blacked and fairly obviously reproduction.
UjB4G84l.jpg

If you reactivated it and this has left traces, this is agreeable. Otherwise I think you understood my point. The history of an item must be preserved to the utmost. Personally I became more and more affected to items of which I know the history. Of course of items in the States this is something different, unless you know where the soldier picked it up.

Yeah funny thing isn't it. Just like hundreds of G43 mag release levers vs bolt lock levers. As to your part in Holland, I had a dummy MP44 back when they we're really cheap and purchased 6 more original mags for a song and sold them years later with the dummy gun for perhaps, $75 a mag? UGH!.. We all have our favorite hobby regrets!

Yeah funny thing isn't it. Just like hundreds of G43 mag release levers vs bolt lock levers. As to your part in Holland, I had a dummy MP44 back when they we're really cheap and purchased 6 more original mags for a song and sold them years later with the dummy gun for perhaps, $75 a mag? UGH!.. We all have our favorite hobby regrets!

Sarco and IMA $250 MP44 and AR18 kits - I still have a shotgun news or two with those ads -

Sarco and IMA $250 MP44 and AR18 kits - I still have a shotgun news or two with those ads -

Same here.. and the MP40 parts kits on close out for 125.. UGH! Do you remember Fed Ord in El Monte? Spent an hour back in the day going through a barrel of G/K43 mags looking for 5 clean ones.. for 10.50 each..

Military Rifle Journal
Back