Third Party Press

byf 44 with threaded barrel

Pictures of the rest of the rifle would help, to make it possible to eliminate or confirm postwar foreign service or modification, etc. Swede rifles had muzzle attachments, etc.

More info would certainly help.

Jeff

Sorry about the lack of photographs. I have more but couldnt send. New to site. The above is a byf 44 seems to have new and old parts all matching. The band retaining spring is solid. The front band is of the late war type welded. The rear band is probably a Gew or early H type the trigger guard is of the late type pressed with small lock screws. Floor plate is of the early milled variety. Stock matches the rest of the gun numbers inside the channel in top wood and stock. All internal parts match and bear the 135 stamp. The gun appears to be the Kreigs, with hole for the cleaning rod. Bluing is of the thin type. Stock remooval disk isthe later type. Thanks Glen

further pictures of byf 44

Having problems posting. Glen

Attachments

• DSC02982.JPG
    DSC02982.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC02986.JPG
    DSC02986.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC02983.JPG
    DSC02983.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC02987.JPG
    DSC02987.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC02984.JPG
    DSC02984.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC02998.JPG
    DSC02998.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC02985.JPG
    DSC02985.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 35
further to byf 44

This weapon has a gunblued butt plate

Attachments

• DSC02999.JPG
    DSC02999.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC03000.JPG
    DSC03000.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC03001.JPG
    DSC03001.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC03004.jpg
    DSC03004.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 27
Sorry.

cant tell much from the pic's. I looks like a matching byf44 b block k98. The bayonett lug has been ground off and barrell threaded. I'd say maybe postwar mod. or bubba. To restore this rifle as close as possible get a late un-numbered bayo-lug and replace it. The remove the blueing on the butplate with white vinager . Or just replace it as well. The barrel is pretty much screwed. But it really on detracts a small amount if the rest of the rifle is matching and correct. As it looks so from the photos.

How bad is the bore?

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1000435.JPG
    P1000435.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 107
What the hell is that, Archie? Some kind of silencer on a Vz.24??

Hmmmm. Glen, when you posted the byf44, I thought of the silencer in BBOTW, but I thought that was sniper related, so I wanted to see more pics (they are on another thread, maybe the mods could combine the discussion). But I really first thought postwar foreign modification.

I think the ground off bayo lug is just plain wierd on the byf44.

I do love a mystery.

Jeff

My guess would be that the whole rifle has been re-blued at some point, in addition to the other modifications.

Eye-catching is the “Seitengewehrhalter”. I have never seen a bore and not existing Seitengewehrhalter.
Ohh, it is so difficult for me to explain it. Sorry.

So, from what I can see it is an early byf 44 which has had its bayonet mount modified. I think that it is likely that whoever milled off the bayonet mount from the stock end also threaded the muzzle end of the barrel and that these modifications were done postwar. The Germans seemed to have had some kind of rule about bayonet mounts not being allowed and rear sights being modified so as not to be able to be adjusted beyond 300 meters for a while after the war. Although I am sure this law/rule/regulation certainly no longer exists there I would not be surprised if that was the reason for the modification of the bayonet mount. My best guess for the threaded barrel would be to allow the mounting of a blank fire adapter to permit use of wooden tipped blanks.

Military Rifle Journal
Back