Third Party Press

Mitchell’s Mausers

Refinished, humped up junk.

Yes. EVERYTHING is 'fake'. They use actual gun parts and most of them were probably German. That's about the best thing I can say.

Also look out for Miltech. They ruin any bit of collectible value a rifle may have with their 'restoration' process.

All these are is cannibalized, ruined parts robbed of their originality flying in tight formation. A buddy from my old outfit bought one and brags about it as being "all matching" and I don't have the heart to burst his bubble but some day the novacaine will wear off.

Can't have a thread about Mitchell's Mausers without the term "pimp shined" in it. :biggrin1:

Hey guy’s im new to the Mauser k98’s and just wanted to know how you feel about Mitchell’s Mausers?

Many people new to military rifles and new to K98s find Mitchell’s Mausers and it’s really a pretty sad story. Basically they took batches of K98 rifles, scrubbed them of all markings, mixed them up and remarked them to match and reassembled them.

As such they are complete fabrications and have no collector value. It’s hard to imagine just how many great rifles they ruined. I mean in that sense they are far worse than a Russian Capture or any other period rework from a collecting standpoint.

Remember when collecting anything: if it seems TOO NICE it probably has problems. As you will see, late War K98s can be pretty ugly, 180 degrees from a Mitchell’s from an outer appearance standpoint.

Might one be a good shooter? Well perhaps so, but for most of us we would rather have a decent Russian Capture to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many people new to military rifles and new to K98s find Mitchell’s Mausers and it’s really a pretty sad story. Basically they took batches of K98 rifles, scrubbed them of all markings, mixed them up and remarked them to match and reassembled them.

As such they are complete fabrications and have no collector value. It’s hard to imagine just how many great rifles they ruined. I mean in that sense they are far worse than a Russian Capture or any other period rework from a collecting standpoint.

Remember when collecting anything: if it seems TOO NICE it probably has problems. As you will see, late War K98s can be pretty ugly, 180 degrees from a Mitchell’s from an outer appearance standpoint.

Might one be a good shooter? Well perhaps so, but for most of us we would rather have a decent Russian Capture to shoot.

Except for the Yugo models they are peddling, Mitchell's Mausers are essentially Russian captures literally stripped off of their last shred of identity and dignity. The Russian already started the train wreck by jumbling parts of different rifles together, grinding off original stamped serial numbers and replacing them with electro penciled numbers. Mitchell takes it one step further by cleaning up the Russian Bubba jobs (many of them even done by German POWs), stamping a 3rd line on the receiver over the Russian X to make it look like a star, polishing the bolt to high luster and sand the crap out of the stocks until they look "beautiful".

Are they good shooters? Most likely, yes. After all, the Russians did assemble them from selected good parts to arm their populace in case of a 4th Reich resurgence.

Poor Anthony

new member starts off asking the worst question one could ask here

Anthony here is some advice when joining a site like this or similar in the future use the search box first.

this subject is brought up about every three months

There is a special place in the lowest depths of HELL for Don Mitchell. :censored:

KJ

fa22f65e3d4fba9921411c447b8571da.jpg

Indeed. The fires of Hell are stoked with ruined K98 stocks. Actually, if an entire COMPANY ever deserved banishment to Infernus, it’s “Mitchell’s”.

My favorite thing about Mitchell's is the fantastic $400 worth of valuable WWII issue gear you get with each fantastic original rifle....

Too bad the blatant liars won't tell you it's really about $5 worth of RUSSIAN junk....

My favorite thing about Mitchell's is the fantastic $400 worth of valuable WWII issue gear you get with each fantastic original rifle....

Too bad the blatant liars won't tell you it's really about $5 worth of RUSSIAN junk....

Haha yes it’s like on QVC: but wait, that’s not all!! Don Mitchell is the Ron Popeil of Firearms Sellers.
4c46f256b187f304cfd60e108b20f163.jpg

(If it says “As seen on TV” it’s crap.)

Except for the Yugo models they are peddling, Mitchell's Mausers are essentially Russian captures literally stripped off of their last shred of identity and dignity. The Russian already started the train wreck by jumbling parts of different rifles together, grinding off original stamped serial numbers and replacing them with electro penciled numbers. Mitchell takes it one step further by cleaning up the Russian Bubba jobs (many of them even done by German POWs), stamping a 3rd line on the receiver over the Russian X to make it look like a star, polishing the bolt to high luster and sand the crap out of the stocks until they look "beautiful".

Are they good shooters? Most likely, yes. After all, the Russians did assemble them from selected good parts to arm their populace in case of a 4th Reich resurgence.
I made an account specifically to reply to this and ask for more details on the Yugo models. I'm a guy who knows basically nothing about firearms apart from what you can get from Wikipedia, but I recently inherited a Mitchell's Mausers kar98k from my grandpa which, according to the pamphlet inside, is from Yugoslavia, and googling to learn more brought me to this thread. Sorry to bother you with such an inane topic on a 5 year old forum post, but I really would like to know just how screwed and in what way I am by now owning this.

I made an account specifically to reply to this and ask for more details on the Yugo models. I'm a guy who knows basically nothing about firearms apart from what you can get from Wikipedia, but I recently inherited a Mitchell's Mausers kar98k from my grandpa which, according to the pamphlet inside, is from Yugoslavia, and googling to learn more brought me to this thread. Sorry to bother you with such an inane topic on a 5 year old forum post, but I really would like to know just how screwed and in what way I am by now owning this.
Post photos, if it's a Yugo model, you probably have an M48, not a K98k.

I made an account specifically to reply to this and ask for more details....
If you inherited it, and it is indeed a Yugo, M-48, M-48B etc. you didn't get hurt too bad. They don't have a lot of history or collector value compared to a legitimate k98k. They make good shooters if that's all you plan to do. The final evolution of the earlier model 24, they came on the scene at a time when most of the world was transitioning to semi and full auto weapons.

Military Rifle Journal
Back