Third Party Press

WW11 War trophy. To assemble or not?

I've run into a BCD Mauser in a metal shipping container labeled "War Trophy". The Captains address is stenciled on container. It is heavily packed in cosmo but my Smithy inspected and determined it is complete. It has a laminate stock in beautiful condition and an FN barrel, partially in the white. I was looking for a "shooter" grade Mauser to do some target shooting with but I am reluctant to clean this one up and take to range. I'm looking for opinions on whether or not to clean and assemble this neat piece of WW11 history. I will add pictures when I can figure out how to load them. Any input appreciated. Thanks, CTK

depending on your intent and use for this rifle you could have struck gold.. or at least steel.

IMHO high end collector grades rifles shouldn't be shot but, to others that's a crime.

If you want a shooter or have no interest in "box gun" buy it and re-sell it then go get what you want.

There's a list of guys here who would pay good money for what you are describing.

Need more info and photos to try to access the rifle for a good value est.

Typically an item like this is worth the most in its "as found" state and fresh to the market.

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of it that you can share with us? I’d love to see it and others probably would like to see it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, barrel partially in white. I'm hoping someone here can verify that FN did indeed send out some barrels in this condition. Was it a rush in wartime production? It has provided some kicks from all the show "experts" who tell me how incorrect it is. Maybe they are right, I know very little about these. I do know this hasn't seen the light of day in 70 yrs. And is so cosmo packed it seems unlikely someone would spin an unfinished barrel on it. I'd love to load pics but am having trouble doing so.

Post some photos. At this point you are saying that you have a rifle disassembled in a box and asking for advice on what it is and whether original. It may be the coolest thing ever or it could be the opposite of that. Without photos no one can give you good advice on what you have.

Yes, barrel partially in white. I'm hoping someone here can verify that FN did indeed send out some barrels in this condition. Was it a rush in wartime production? It has provided some kicks from all the show "experts" who tell me how incorrect it is. Maybe they are right, I know very little about these. I do know this hasn't seen the light of day in 70 yrs. And is so cosmo packed it seems unlikely someone would spin an unfinished barrel on it. I'd love to load pics but am having trouble doing so.

Fn did produce barrels and some did go to Gustloff. In the white might be referring to very thin phosphate also. Even though I have seen in the white gustloff rifles that were never finished.

If the gun shop is local go back and ask permission to photograph it.

The sad part is there are papers with it. Apparently the grandkid, who has little respect for his Grandfather or his service, won't give the return certificate up. It's a lost cause. Valuable piece of paper I presume?

more pics for sure. Something just looks odd about it. The "in the white" areas are strange, Stock has been cleaned. More pics would be great. Can you get a pic of the papers to see if the serial number is on them.

after looking at it more I wonder if the barrel is phosphated and the dark areas are just dried grease. The "fat" stock would be correct for a late bcd. Get the darn thing bought if priced right. the shipping container is cool.

The sad part is there are papers with it. Apparently the grandkid, who has little respect for his Grandfather or his service, won't give the return certificate up. It's a lost cause. Valuable piece of paper I presume?

If you are in contact with him. Ask for a photo copy. We have all been there with items and a copy or a scan is the next best thing.
It would add to the value quite a bit..

I don't see a barrel in the white ? I see some bluing loss maybe ? But the whole assy looks blued to me.

Might be a JPS assembled rifle ? Look at the top proof on the receiver either eagle/749 or eagle/37
also the serial # may help nail this down.

Great score by the way did you buy it ?????

I've got to access better internet to load pics I think. The barrel is clearly blued from rear sight to the first contour of barrel, not grease. The stock, while very nice looking, also has a coating of grease or cosmo on it. It is hard to discern #'s thru the crud, but bolt, receiver do not match. The bolt safety does match bolt. Will try to follow up with more detailed pics. Thanks for your interest.

Military Rifle Journal
Back