Third Party Press

Probably the single nicest 1940 42 code Luftwaffe 98k out there.

Talking with the vet yesterday that I got these from he gave me a little of the background on them. He and his company were fighting near Carentan and were tasked with eliminating a Flak battery. Ultimately they were able to drive off the Luftwaffe crew manning an 88. They took one young 17/18 kid prisoner he was wounded in the leg and his comrades left him behind. He took the rifle from this young soldier and the Luger was in its holster on a belt hung on the traversing wheel of the 88 both magazines missing. He had the Luftwaffe belt that he captured with the pistol but over the years the leather deteriorated and broke apart but he thinks he can find me the buckle. He said he will write down everything he can remember. He said he also had that young mans helmet but traded it to someone for two packs of cigarettes

He did add that he almost dumped the rifle a few days later because he didn't want the extra weight, but someone came up with the idea of using scrap wood to cobble together a shipping box and he sent the rifle home. The Luger he carried the rest of the war for good luck. He said he had heard stories of what Germans would do if they caught you with one, not sure if it was true or not but he said it was his motivation to fight and win and never surrender.

So awesome. Great rifle and pistol; plus, you personally have met the vet, and gotten the story first hand regarding where and how the items were captured. Thank that veteran for his service, and for passing those items on to someone that greatly appreciates them, and shared them with so many others- including the history. (Highly doubtful that you could have gotten the rifle for a couple packs of smokes)

An amazing time capsule of a rifle.

The 1916 was a rare one, one of just over 4200 and two variations. They are highly sought after. I am a 1911 collector so I could not have done it but you got some amazing stuff for it. The holster alone was a treasure.

Pre 1917 1911’s in 90%+ are scare... and pistol alone is $4-5k in this market.. mags are $200-$250.. as a rig and to the right collector $5-5500 wouldn’t be unheard of. Nice rifle! Sounds like both are happy..

Little update, he came back today with the notarized write up. He also handed me this. He said he lifted it off the floor of a jeep parked on the side of the road some time before he shipped home in 1946. There was a holster for it but he tossed it in tge bushes. He said all three guns should stay together.

I'll do pictures when when i have a chance, its basically an excellent condition numbers matching ac44.

Going to pick him up next week and I'm talking him out to a nice lunch. Going to learn more of his story. He fought in Korea as well.

20180217_154122.jpg20180217_154127.jpg20180217_154130.jpg20180217_154135.jpgView attachment 170926

Little update, he came back today with the notarized write up. He also handed me this. He said he lifted it off the floor of a jeep parked on the side of the road some time before he shipped home in 1946. There was a holster for it but he tossed it in tge bushes. He said all three guns should stay together.

I'll do pictures when when i have a chance, its basically an excellent condition numbers matching ac44.

Going to pick him up next week and I'm talking him out to a nice lunch. Going to learn more of his story. He fought in Korea as well.

View attachment 170918View attachment 170919View attachment 170920View attachment 170921View attachment 170926

Nice, FN frame ac44, that sweetens the pot for sure!

I think now for me, the friendship I've developed with this gentleman is something I'll cherish far more than these three guns.

Glad too hear your getting too know this veteran more and it looks like you got yourself some great firearms towards your collection. That is a nice P38 as Mike has stated.

8x57 is my good friend; I got to fondle them the other day.

No jokes.

We're going shooting tomorrow.

I also have an AC44 bring back rig. No letter block, January '44. Nice mag is Walther, beater mag is Spreewerke. Holster is bml44, e/23, P38 holster Hans Römer, Neu-Ulm, Donau.

It's seen some hard use. Teasingly illegible Vet's name and SN inside flap. No papers.

IA LHAOL BENSON
3-472-454 7

Attachments

• IMG_4462.jpg
    IMG_4462.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4463 (1).jpg
    IMG_4463 (1).jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4463.jpg
    IMG_4463.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4464.jpg
    IMG_4464.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I think now for me, the friendship I've developed with this gentleman is something I'll cherish far more than these three guns.

This. You've basically hit the holey grail of collecting. It doesn't get better than this; 101st vet, Normandy, immaculate artifacts, but above all, the relationship you've began.

I think the opportunity here is to try and document as much of this mans life as possible, with respect to his boundaries of course.

I'm not sure how much you know about the 101st fighting in Normandy but for a fantastic overview, I'd recommend the book "The 101st Airborne at Normandy" by Mark A. Bando. He's one of the most knowledgeable historians on the 101st having interviewed something like 900 101st vets over the years.

Keep us posted!

Follow up on my last post...

For some perverse reason it's fun to out shoot someone with their own gun. Shot 8x57s Glock 17 (.40S/W). The two peekaboos at 12:00 were on purpose I couldn't believe all were in the black. Also targets for my '50 S/W Pre-M10 snubbie and the Jan '44 Walther P38. Distance was 25 feet.

Hmmm....seem to have tossed the S/W target on the way out....it had about 1/2 black and 1/2 white. Heavy frame and big grips made it very controllable.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4465.jpg
    IMG_4465.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4466.jpg
    IMG_4466.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
With a 52 40 date in the stock I believe that's February 21st 1940, and I'm assuming the A block would be also about February production. Could have potentially seen action in France.

I missed this one when you posted it, it's a beautiful Mauser and even better with the history. The whole story is amazing and I hope the veteran is doing good. Thank you very much for all the photos.

The stock completion date code means January 12, 1940 and I think the rifle was already assembled in the middle of January, around the 3rd week.

Regards,
Stephan

Follow up on my last post...

For some perverse reason it's fun to out shoot someone with their own gun. Shot 8x57s Glock 17 (.40S/W). The two peekaboos at 12:00 were on purpose I couldn't believe all were in the black. Also targets for my '50 S/W Pre-M10 snubbie and the Jan '44 Walther P38. Distance was 25 feet.

Hmmm....seem to have tossed the S/W target on the way out....it had about 1/2 black and 1/2 white. Heavy frame and big grips made it very controllable.

t

Gen 2 glock?

Just curious, why would the bore still be packed with cosmoline if it was taken from the battlefield?

The 98k I don't think has been apart since 1940. the bluing is near perfect, the stock untouched, 100% matching and the sling is dated 1938 so probably originally with this rifle. Bore was still packed with cosmoline, and is in pristine condition. some crusty cosmo still in there but I'm not shooting it so im not too worried about getting it out.

Just curious, why would the bore still be packed with cosmoline if it was taken from the battlefield?

Vets packed them in cosmoline to ship them home. Several Lugers, Mausers, P38, etc I've bought directly from vets were still packed in the grease they used to ship them home.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe the German military used cosmoline.

Military Rifle Journal
Back