Third Party Press

What K98 is/was this?

Hellraiser

I rediscovered this one on the attic lately when looking for stuff,
but is it normal that there isn't a Mod.98 marking on the side of the receiver?
There are also 4 acceptance stamps

1k0.jpg
1k0.jpg
1k0.jpg
1k0.jpg

Probably was a 337 (Gustloff) 1940, or maybe a bcd 41. I do see a 40 on the barrel code.

I think Stan has it nailed. More photos would sure confirm things. I can see some kind of acceptance on the left side recoil lug face but can't make it out no matter how much I zoom in.

I rediscovered this one on the attic lately when looking for stuff,
but is it normal that there isn't a Mod.98 marking on the side of the receiver?

I agree with Stan, it's a Gustloff, either a 337 1940 or bcd 41. Until 1940 the Gustloff production had blank side rails (without Mod.98). The 1941 production was mixed, some had the Mod.98 marking and some still had blank side rails.

An excellent evaluation!

A g-block would almost have to be a 337/1940, the intermingling didn't go that far into 1941; the barrel could be Rurhstahl or possibly Geco. It would also be rare (not impossible) for this barrel to be on a bcd/41 g-block.

Until 1940 the Gustloff production had blank side rails (without Mod.98). The 1941 production was mixed, some had the Mod.98 marking and some still had blank side rails.

An excellent evaluation!

A g-block would almost have to be a 337/1940, the intermingling didn't go that far into 1941; the barrel could be Rurhstahl or possibly Geco. It would also be rare (not impossible) for this barrel to be on a bcd/41 g-block.

Thank you Paul!

I tend also to a 337 1940, nevertheless a bcd 41 is still possible. Until late "e" block you still find a lot bcd 41 with blank side rails. Personally I just know one "h" and one "k" block with blank side rail.

..nevertheless a bcd 41 is still possible. Until late "e" block you still find a lot bcd 41 with blank side rails. Personally I just know one "h" and one "k" block with blank side rail.

Does this speak to the 'bin' theory? I've often thought if you as an assembler have a/several bins in front of you with parts regarding your task. Possibly you haven't used all your particular parts and someone comes by and dumps a new pile of those parts on top of the few left. I doubt many would dig to the bottom to use the older ones first so naturally you can get some skips. I've also subscribed to the thought that parts fell under or behind the workbench, were discovered later on a cleanup day and throw on top of the particular bin.

Thanks!

Think I'm going to use the scope on another k98,
But what mounts should I get?

The scope is an optikotechna 4x but I think its for a brno.

Does this speak to the 'bin' theory? I've often thought if you as an assembler have a/several bins in front of you with parts regarding your task. Possibly you haven't used all your particular parts and someone comes by and dumps a new pile of those parts on top of the few left. I doubt many would dig to the bottom to use the older ones first so naturally you can get some skips. I've also subscribed to the thought that parts fell under or behind the workbench, were discovered later on a cleanup day and throw on top of the particular bin.

If the factory used first in first out, I'd be surprised. That tends to be done with perishable stuff, like milk or steak. First in last out is used for stuff that won't spoil, like bricks or gravel. I can't speak to the German factory methods used, but it seems odd that guys would dig to the bottoms of parts bins to use the barrel at the bottom.

I also think that just-in-time manufacturing hadn't arrived yet and as the war ground on the stresses on production and transport from bombings and other disruptions caused sags and overlaps in production and inventory. Just seems inevitable that these anomalies would occur.

Professional opinions please and by professional I mean not mine

What do you guys think of this rifle I'm considering it but I don't know nearly enough to make a jump like this

Attachments

• pix427550585.jpg
    pix427550585.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 51
  • pix287120759.jpg
    pix287120759.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 54
  • pix009154499.jpg
    pix009154499.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 56
  • pix048052629.jpg
    pix048052629.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 61
  • pix040664944.jpg
    pix040664944.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 59
Learning as I go. what was the giveaway?

The big one "the period experimental flash hider" All Bullshit with a huge description trying too justify its real.

Singularly remarkable, the muzzle is augmented by a flash-hiding muzzle device which is both designed and installed in a manner technologically contemporary to the era of the rifle and displays blued finish identical in color and patina to the whole of the weapon. Rudimentary in technology, the flash hider is constructed with a series of simple slotted fins, cut at right angles to the line of the bore in the same primitive geometry as other period muzzle devices. Threaded down onto the muzzle, lock-up is achieved by means of a thin crush washer which is an exact scaled-down version of that used behind the barrel nut of the MP40. Absent all post-1940's technology and concepts (such as threads cut to provide their own crush and resistance factor, or post-war concepts of superior flash-suppression such as rear-angled fins, or prongs), and considering the unaltered and fine condition of the rifle as a whole, all logical evidence points to the flash-hider being a rare wartime addition: either as an individual snipers field expedient or as a rare prototype in field testing.

Nothing but a bunch of lies too get someone too bid on this. Seller has been known too enhanced and fake stuff as well.

I cant recall seeing that guy posting a rifle that wasn't dicked with, actually. Its not like some are bad, its pretty much all that I've ever seen. Perhaps I missed the good ones...

I'll stop short of that but offer this. It sure seems to me nearly every K98k he offers looks exactly the same. Metal finish has the same color, tint, consistency and depth of blue. All the wood looks exactly the same. The stain/color is nearly identical. If you look at very many rifles you know this just doesn't happen. Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me but I don't think so.

I'll stop short of that but offer this. It sure seems to me nearly every K98k he offers looks exactly the same. Metal finish has the same color, tint, consistency and depth of blue. All the wood looks exactly the same. The stain/color is nearly identical. If you look at very many rifles you know this just doesn't happen. Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me but I don't think so.

If you look close you can tell when stain has been used. Look at unmessed with stock and then look at his.

Is the safety on your's original?

interesting findings
o.png

What is the deal with the swastika stamp on the rear of the bolt handle?A number of years ago I obtained a half dozen of that style of bolt that were in new condition.I have never seen one installed in an original rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back