Third Party Press

Russian Capture Snipers, do they exist?

I know its not during WWII but a friend of mine who served in Iraq during 2008-2009 did come under fire from an Insurgent using a SVT40 with a PU scope. He told me you would be shocked too see how many different rifles with scopes we came across SVT40, M91/30 PU, SVD, etc.

Collectors fairy tales.....doesn't mean I don't wish it was true, but sadly those rifles were either stripped for standard parts and those parts were then blended into RC98's or these rifles were simply smelted with other captured German weapons for their steel and used in Russian weapons during the cold war.

If nothing else, the soviets kept and stockpiled weapons. Where do you think the G43s and MG42s are? The FG-42s? I'm sure they stripped most of these snipers, but I have a hard time believing it was all of them.

I was mainly curiou because the G43 are real, a Canadian dealer was trying but price was the road block.
I’d still like to see some desnipered RC

I once saw an RC with a stock off of a LSR sniper. You could see where the mortise for the rail was filled in. It also had a patch over a bullet/shrapnel hole in the butt just behind the pistol grip. Both sides were repaired. I think the former owner might have had a bad day.

It was a regular RC otherwise. Typical mishmash of parts.

I know its not during WWII but a friend of mine who served in Iraq during 2008-2009 did come under fire from an Insurgent using a SVT40 with a PU scope. He told me you would be shocked too see how many different rifles with scopes we came across SVT40, M91/30 PU, SVD, etc.

Yeah, any platform designed to fire the 7.62×54mmR because it was the only thing they had regular access to that had a chance against our body armor. Standard AK platform stuff is like shooting spitballs.

Military Rifle Journal
Back