Third Party Press

New P-38 Pistol Book

I’m going to pick one up at the SOS, I’ll let you know how it is if you don’t hear anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have met both the authors several times, very sharp guys. The German version has been out for a while, but I have not heard much about it. I know it is full of documents and pictures.

There is some drama over some of the theories that they present in the book about Spreewerk. Keep that in mind while reading.

Is this the theory that cyq zero series are from Neuengamme? Pretty clear they aren’t from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're correct Mike! Apparently that is what they present. Not sure if that changed in the English book? My guess is no.

You're correct Mike! Apparently that is what they present. Not sure if that changed in the English book? My guess is no.

There is a definitive book on the cyq production. I would stick with that one. Thank goodness I do not collect these nor lugers. Too much other good stuff to collect IMO.

Looks like a pretty good book, little spendy

one thing I learned in college and I stress here all the time and that is research!!!!, and research means multiple sources. Over time there have been numerous authoritative books on numerous subjects only to be refuted over time, including other current books and probably this one also.

also never dispel a book you have never read or take others opinions regarding its info, I am sure there are a few folks on other sites that would pan anyone's opinion over their own, that's expected and has happened
we are all entitled to own opinion

Here is my brief review of the book. Mike looked through my book so knows a little about it as well. Ian from Forgotten Weapons did a video review of it, much more indepth. I didn't watch it, I assume its more in depth though.

Here is the 20,000 foot view though. The book reads like a technical manual. There are a TON of charts and everything is broken up into variation and sub variation. It is not a history book, and has minimal background on production. It is much more a collectors handbook. For example, if you want to know what shape loaded chamber indicator is on your AC44 J block, you can find out. There is a breakdown of every holster known. I think these tables and charts may be usefull for my collecting. They have nice color photos of everything. I have yet to use the book to vet a p38, once I do, I will update my thoughts.

There are some issues with the book. The two major factual ones are that the authors say that cvq was a legitmate code change, and that 0 series spreewerks were made at Neuengamme. I'm not going to discuss these, because authors much smarter than I are addressing these in the near future. My issues are more logistical. I find the translation difficult to follow at some points. I know it is tough to translate technical terms, but the translation distracts from the overall points of the book. They also include several highly questionable pistols in their oddities section. They have shoulder rigs listed as legitimate in their holster section. It also bugs me that Simpson advertises in the book on the last page, but that is not major.

I'll answer any questions if anyone has any.

Military Rifle Journal
Back