Third Party Press

What was everyone's very first k98k?

mowzerluvr

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?
Be honest. Mine was a BYF41, still remember the sn, 1486v , had been drilled and tapped for a peep site then metal and wood repaired (without being disclosed at the sale). Wood sanded hard core. Brought it to a show 20+ years ago because there was a guy always there with a display who seemed to know the rifles well, maybe you've heard of him? Craig brown. He set me straight on all the issues with it and so started the learning curve. It was unusual in that it was a "v' suffix an had a flat plate/laminate stock with matching wood AND plate.

I forgot to add that it was an even trade for a Remington 338 win/mag hunting rifle I no longer used.

Last edited:
My first 98k was a “restored” large-font BNZ 44 courtesy of Fred Roever. Hey, he was nice and I was young and impressionable. :facepalm:

Bought a BYF 44 super mixmatcher back around 95 so I could have a shooter for the range. Bolt did not even match itself and had a speed milled band. Imported by CAI and stamped 8 MM on underside of barrel. Capture gun but swastikas remained unpeened. Stock red glue laminate but did not seem to have any finish at all. Only set me back $250 back then. Bought at a LGS that advertised em in the paper.

An ar 42 I bought 15 years ago, I still have it has some issues - but when you are 16 and a K98 is all you ever wanted and the first to hold and actually able to buy I was a bit blinded :D. And so My learning curve began.

Regards Morten

Sendt fra min G8141 med Tapatalk

Be honest? OK, it was a Mitchell's Bowser. Can't remember what model or anything about it.
Sold it quickly and got my money back.

CE 42 that my father had when I was a boy. That was my favorite. He had acquired several 98’s, P08’s and P38’s, bayonets, knives, medals etc. He was in the Air Force during the Korean War and traded with the WW2 vets. Sadly it all disappeared over the last 30 or 40 years as he grew older and moved around. The only thing that is left is a 1918 DWM P08 and holster and some armbands that I brought home with me years ago. I have been trying to find a similar CE 42 over the last few years to bring back some fond memories. I’ll keep looking! Thanks for the thread, nice to hear the stories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was a scrubbed and Yugo crested K98k. Luckily I still have it, a T.R. 69 marked worthless shooter but I didn’t care, it still had like 3 waffenamts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• DSC_0065.JPG
    DSC_0065.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0064.JPG
    DSC_0064.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0066.JPG
    DSC_0066.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 36
Dad brought back a '39 Borsigwalde - had been a bolt mismatch, but unfortunately it was just the bolt/barreled action and trigger/mag/floorplate in a stock that had been WAY cut down to a sporter configuration which was very light and narrow. I don't think he ever fired it, and I didn't either - it probably would have resulted in near amputation at the shoulder. Eventually I decided to put it back as original, and the research to do it properly resulted in my getting hooked - I now have one of each year (various manufacture) from '35 to '43, none are collector grade, but they appear correct for each year, and I enjoy pointing out the evolutionary changes year by year to interested visitors. My sons will get them, I'm 76 now.

A bnz 43 all matching, bought in 1988, still have it, and love it as much as then. It haven't seen much use. Nice to follow this thread. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 43
1938 S147 in a Bishop sporter stock. My dad pointed it out at a show we had a couple tables at. He told me how he used to be able to buy them for twelve bucks at hardware stores.
Still have the rifle.
Lost my dad year before last. I miss him tremendously.

1944 DOT SN 1074 AH sporter rescue. All matching barreled action, and bolt. Thats what started it all!

BNZ 44 sporter that my uncle had in a closet, which he had gotten from an old hunter. I posted about it back when I got it around April 2017.

Turns out it was an early BNZ Kriegsmodell. I'm trying to restore it. Only need one more screw for the front band and a good bolt and it'll be good to go. Love that rifle. It ignited the passion for these rifles and led me to start getting bayonets, other WW2 guns, ammo pouches, etc.

Military Rifle Journal
Back