Third Party Press

What was everyone's very first k98k?

An early JP Russian capture about 10 years ago?. Sold it to my good buddy to fund a 1919a4 that would later take my right eye....should have kept the 98!

Yugo rework with fake e/63 stamps all over the metal and a fantastic fake WaA195 on the stock. She was a beauty.

I see you're in Kansas. Not sure how far from Kansas City, but there's a gun show at the expo center this weekend. Maybe they'll have some k98's??
I've been to a few RK shows, there's a few WWII era items there. The MVACA show in July is much better though. I'm not in a rush to pick up a Yugo or RC or MM. The right one will appear eventually!

I've been to a few RK shows, there's a few WWII era items there. The MVACA show in July is much better though. I'm not in a rush to pick up a Yugo or RC or MM. The right one will appear eventually!

Keep checking the trader section here. I do periodically. I feel safe with these guys lol.

My first K98k was a matching, Hansen-imported Portuguese 1941 in good condition. Still have it. I bought it in the mid-1990's at a show in KC, MO. I probably paid around $350 for it. At least I think that was my first. They multiplied very quickly and the collection became a blur. My first Mauser was a bolt mismatched non-import Vz-24 with a self-matching 98k bolt and a probable bullet hole through the stock which I purchased at an antique show while a college student in the mid 1980's. I kind of resented it because it wasn't a Kar.98k and I never seemed to find them. I didn't completely understand what it was until long after I "fixed" it and it was sold to create funds to expand the collection.

1941 BNZ R/C - total mismatch! Had it made into a LSR sniper with a new barrel - shoots great!

A dou44 Romanian import I bought in 1994. I shot the crap out of that rifle back when Portuguese non corrosive ammo was everywhere and cheap!!

A Russian capture CE 41 that I picked up off of Gunbroker for $225 back in 2009 nine. Not sure what the going rate is on RC's now but I think it's a little bit more. Sold it to my brothers father-in-law for $300.

Great question. I inherited a chopped up Gew 98 in .243. That sparked the interest in mausers. The first one I bought for myself was a DUV RC.

Family bring back 1945 byf HT without a scope. But I did purchase one off of a forum member, so now a complete scope mismatched sniper.

My first was a RC bnz 43 p block. Has a great bore and still is one of my favorite shooters. Think I paid $250 for it 9 years ago. Stock has two little fragments of shrapnel near the bolt handle cut out.

Attachments

• 2F4DF093-DF80-48D6-974D-4E2F4C6DBFAE.jpg
    2F4DF093-DF80-48D6-974D-4E2F4C6DBFAE.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 46
1938 MO refinished with a high polish blue, post war stock, complete mm and not a single part correct for a ‘38... sad thing is that I was more excited about receiving that rifle than I am today about getting a complete matching rifle. I felt like a kid at Christmas and couldn’t wait for it to arrive.

It’s amazing the connection many feel towards their first K98, no matter how long ago it was or WHAT it was! Mine was a bcd4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back