Third Party Press

What was everyone's very first k98k?

Czech rework . Scrubbed. Matching,,,I think. Nice shape other than the scrubbed receiver. Had a Mint bore.
bought it as a shooter. for $20.

1991 a five digit serial dot44 . Couldn't figure out why I couldn't get a cleaning rod to go in ???? :facepalm:

followed up with-in a few weeks and all matching byf43 I block.... after that its all a blur......

Exact date

2/5/1985...still have the receipt.
CE 44. Drove in a winter storm to pick it up.
$150...

Good to see all the answers here, thank you all for taking the time. It's good to see the participation and hear the stories. We all started off with NO knowledge at some point. I'm wanting a G43 now myself, my first would have been a BCD that walked in to a show like ?? 12 years ago for $1,500 but I had and still have little knowledge of them and didn't want to buy a turd.

Mine was a dot 1944 ai block that was one of those bolt and floor plate mismatched Balkan imports with the peened all to hell birds. I thought the weld on the stamped band was some "Bubba" repair job till I learned better! At least it was a nice one as far as those imports go with a good bore and a decent shooter.

Attachments

• dot 1944.JPG
    dot 1944.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 36
My first K98k was a Dou 45 which had an import mark and defaced markings. The bolt was a mixed bag, but the rifle still had the original stock and bands.

Dang I shouldn't have sold it!:facepalm:

k98 008.jpgk98 009.jpgk98 271.jpgk98 269.jpgk98 270.jpgdou 45.jpgdou 45 054.jpgdou 45 055.jpgk98 274.jpg

I began my learning curve with a 237/38 RC that I still have in my collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1940 660 likely Romanian used. Matching except the bolt.

First matching German was a 1944 dou bringback (actually shipped back in pieces according to the family).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nope not even close bought it back in 1967. What ever made you think it was Romanian?

(First post ever here, please feel free to mention any incorrect / unprecise terminology.)

I picked up my first 98k last Thursday, shot it on Friday. Since I live in Germany, there was a waiting period between seeing, paying and being able to take it home. ;)

S/42, n-block, 1937 Oberndorf, walnut stock. (small Portugal crest and B-Number on the stock?)
Missing bayonet lug and sling, a broken out welding point that used to limit the sight to 300 meters (but is gone now) and a safety w/o serial number. Other than that, matching numbers. Bright bore, sharp rifling.

Since I was looking for a shooter and not a pure collectible, I figured that was okay. Also, the price was in "cheap mistake territory", so I bought first and read up on stuff later. ;)

I will take pictures and post them for public viewing pleasure later.

Last edited:
RC 1937 Erma, serial 8098. It was pretty well period matched for an RC. I swapped it for a Savage No.4 for some reason.

DOU 44 sporter .I then bought a yugo and swaped stocks it had been reblued and looked as good as any Browning, wish I still had it

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

(First post ever here, please feel free to mention any incorrect / unprecise terminology.)

I picked up my first 98k last Thursday, shot it on Friday. Since I live in Germany, there was a waiting period between seeing, paying and being able to take it home. ;)

S/42, n-block, 1937 Oberndorf, walnut stock. (small Portugal crest and B-Number on the stock?)
Missing bayonet lug and sling, a broken out welding point that used to limit the sight to 300 meters (but is gone now) and a safety w/o serial number. Other than that, matching numbers. Bright bore, sharp rifling.

Since I was looking for a shooter and not a pure collectible, I figured that was okay. Also, the price was in "cheap mistake territory", so I bought first and read up on stuff later. ;)

I will take pictures and post them for public viewing pleasure later.

That may be an interesting rifle. Some of the early rifles sold to Portugal seem to have been taken from regular production. What you are describing sounds like it may be that. I would like to see the pictures.

Military Rifle Journal
Back